ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[jig]

[jig] Costa Rica meeting: Roundtable Universal Acceptance Wednesday 14 March

  • To: "'jig'" <jig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [jig] Costa Rica meeting: Roundtable Universal Acceptance Wednesday 14 March
  • From: Bart Boswinkel <bart.boswinkel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 02:00:59 -0800

Dear all,
Included some additional information on the Roundtable session on Universal
Acceptance of TLD’s as scheduled for Wednesday 14 March from 12.30-14.00 in La
Paz A.
Kind regards,
Bart

> What is the format of the roundtable?
> Will there be presenters, what is the set-up of the room, and how may the
> mebers of the JIG participate?

-- La Paz A should be able to accommodate 300 people, so all JIG members are
welcome to participate. We specifically invited some representatives from
various ICANN stakeholder groups, including TLD registry operators, to sit
at the round table/panel. For example, we invited Edmon Chung to be on the
panel and he accepted our invitation. ICANN will prepare a brief
presentation as an overview of the project. I would like to stress, however,
that the goal of this meeting is an active discussion between all attendees
(so the sitting arrangements should not be limiting what contributions one
can make into the discussion).

> As you know, the JIG has prepared an Initial report on policy aspects relating
> to the Universal Acceptance of IDN TLD’s.
> How do the topics rasied in the Report relate to staff activities?  Has this
> report been taken into consideration in structuring the project activities, do
> you foresee overlap?

-- Firstly, we appreciate JIG putting together this report. The points that
JIG listed in the report are valid. While our project's focus is on both
ASCII and IDN TLDs, the considerations that were listed (areas where ICANN
should focus its efforts on and the type of work that ICANN  should
prioritize on) are very helpful in defining our future work. This is exactly
what we hope to discuss with the community during our session.