ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[joint-wg-snapshot]

Blacknight Comments on SO/AC

  • To: "joint-wg-snapshot@xxxxxxxxx" <joint-wg-snapshot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Blacknight Comments on SO/AC
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:28:21 +0000

Blacknight welcomes the opportunity to submit comments on the Joint SO/AC
Working Group on New gTLD Applicant Support Snapshot

It has always been our belief that the new TLD program should work for everyone
- not just big corporations with deep pockets

There are many cultural and linguistic groups that cannot be catered for with a
ccTLD. For such groups having their own TLD would be of benefit to the
development and nurturing of their cultural linguistic community.

We have previously submitted comments on older version of DAG where we
expressed our concern about the economic barriers to entry.

While we recognise that any TLD project needs to be stable we also are
conscious of the realities that exist already in the ccTLD world.

Many ccTLD registry operators are more than capable of operating without
spending huge amounts of money per annum to function. They are able to serve
their communities and provide continuity without huge budgets. Unfortunately
ICANN seems to think that TLDs in the "new regime" need to be slotted into a
"one size fits all" scenario.

This we feel is neither realistic nor does it truly fit with ICANN's goals that
are often summed up by Rod Beckstrom:

"One World. One Internet. Everyone Connected."

For this to become reality then economic barriers need to be removed where
appropriate.

The working group's current document offers ICANN several possible solutions to
allow new TLDs to be available to organisations and/or communities without
imposing artificial economic barriers.

Since "status quo" is so often mentioned within the ICANN realm, if you examine
the current ICANN budget it is clear that economic barriers were removed to
allow .museum to operate.

The working group's document recognises that strict criteria for economic
exceptions need to laid down and that only a limited number of applicants would
meet the criteria. Several companies, including ourselves, have stated that
they would be willing to offer services to qualified applicants.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions