ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[meetings-proposal-2012]

LACTLD's comments

  • To: meetings-proposal-2012@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: LACTLD's comments
  • From: Carolina Aguerre <carolina@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:41:51 -0300

Apologies for the late response. We would be very grateful wish this can be included, although the deadline was last Friday.

*LACTLD's comments on the proposal to change the current rotating regions approach*

Despite the many flaws and the lack of facilities for the current size and structure of ICANN's meetings in many developing regions, including Latin America and the Caribbean, there is a deep concern regarding this proposal since it is not only contradictory to ICANN's global strategic outreach approach, but it also weakens its presence within communities that already find it very difficult to attend ICANN meetings within the current meetings system.

LACTLD would like to support the maintenance of the current approach to rotating regional meetings in an equitable manner. LACTLD also fully understands the growing size and complexity of ICANN's meetings and as an alternative measure we are proposing ICANN to consider repeating cities in those regions where there are difficulties to find suitable venues.

We wish to underscore LACTLD's commitment to ICANN's current strategic approach in reaching out to communities in developing regions and in that respect we believe ICANN should maintain a yearly (18-20 month presence) in every region in order to help sustain a bottom-up, multi-equal-stakeholder model.

With best regards,

LACTLD

--
Carolina Aguerre