ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[museum-renewal-2007]

Constructive Discussion in Lisbon

  • To: "Kurt Pritz" <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Constructive Discussion in Lisbon
  • From: "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:13:29 -0500

Kurt:

As you can imagine, ICANN's March 2nd announcement related to the
.museum registry agreement has generated a great deal of interest in the
community, especially with registrars.  Specifically, the change to
Appendix S -- enabling the .museum sponsor to register 5,000 domain
names directly with the registry operator -- appears to be an important
proposed change to the .museum charter.  Many registrars are confused as
to the intent, justification, and precedential value of this proposed
change.  The announcement does not contain any discussion related to the
reasoning behind the proposal or any other options to address the
perceived concern.

Therefore, instead of following the 21 day notice and comment period
followed by a Board vote at the ICANN meeting in Lisbon, I request that
the comment period be extended to end no earlier than 21 days after the
conclusion of the ICANN meeting at Lisbon and the Board vote be
conducted at a subsequent meeting.  This would provide the community
with an opportunity in Lisbon to learn about the proposal, understand
the justifications behind it, and improve the discourse of any comments.
It would be very difficult to comment constructively on the proposal
without the necessary background information.  If given the opportunity
to address this issue in Lisbon, I will formally invite representatives
from the .museum registry and ICANN to discuss this issue with the
Registrar Constituency at our meeting on Tuesday, March 27.

While I'm sure that the .museum registry operator is anxious to finalize
the agreement, the community has had no involvement with the background
discussions and negotiations and needs to understand better the proposal
before it should be asked for comments.  A constructive dialogue on this
issue is the best way forward.  With the Lisbon meeting less than three
weeks away, it makes sense for Lisbon to be the venue of that
discussion.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Best,

Jon Nevett

Chair, Registrar Constituency