ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Intellectual Property Constituency comments

  • To: net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Intellectual Property Constituency comments
  • From: James Renken <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:30:35 -0400

To whom it may concern:

I am an attorney in the practice of Internet law, and am also the owner of Sandwich.Net, LLC, which is a Web hosting and consulting company in operation since 1997 and a reseller (through Tucows) of domain name registration services. On behalf of myself and my legal and business clients, I am writing in opposition to the Intellectual Property Constituency's potential comment in favor of Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS).

URS would indeed be a relatively convenient, inexpensive and rapid method of responding to cybersquatting. However, it would also be too effective as a method of victimizing the far too many legitimate domain name owners who lack the means to respond to legal challenges quickly and forcefully.

As numerous examples have demonstrated, arbitration - especially with a single arbitrator - too often fails to provide due process to the less powerful party. I believe that allowing URS as proposed would be a grave disservice to domain name owners, and therefore urge you to disregard IPC's comments if made.

Very truly yours,

James Philip Renken
41 Schermerhorn St., PMB 335
Brooklyn, NY 11201-4802