ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

New rights protections to .Net

  • To: <net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New rights protections to .Net
  • From: "J F Renish" <renish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:00:48 -0700

I am categorically opposed to any additional copyright protections applied
retroactively to .Net domains, just as I am categorically opposed to any ex
post facto legislation. In this case, however, the extension of copyright
protections is part and parcel of a completely irrational blanket extension
of copyright. In the US, copyright protection was implemented
constitutionally and was originally for fourteen years, in order to
encourage the production of literature. It is obscene that the protection
now outlives the creator, who can in no way be encouraged to produce
anything.

JF Renish
106 Hawthorne Way
San José, CA 95110-2221