ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-agreement-renewal]

Please reject IPC's proposal

  • To: <net-agreement-renewal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Please reject IPC's proposal
  • From: Caitlin Sedwick <caitsed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 17:38:39 -0500

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to express my objections to the comments
filed by the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC), available here:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/net-agreement-renewal/pdfTeYfTqqAOg.pdf

I am concerned that the IPC's proposal over-reaches when it advocates
these disproportionate approaches to the problem of copyright
infringement.  There are already legal mechanisms in place to deal with
copyright violations, and if anything needs changing, then changes
should be made within the existing legal infrastructure, not outside of
it.  If implemented, IPC's suggestions would open the door to abuses:
for example, awarding any party the power to extrajudicially seize
domains presents severe temptations for abuse of that power.  Likewise,
compelling customers to reveal their personal information during domain
registration exposes customers to privacy infringements, limitations on
free speech, and/or harassment.  Neither approach would effectively
ameliorate the issues they purportedly address - instead, they would
create a raft of new issues to deal with.  I therefore ask that you
disregard IPC's comments in their entirety.

Thank you,
C. Sedwick