ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-amendment-comments]

Comment about Equitable pricing

  • To: <net-amendment-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment about Equitable pricing
  • From: "Bhavin Turakhia" <bhavin.t@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:26:59 +0530

Hi,

I believe we have made a certain amount of progress working in conjunction
to address concerns of various Registrars with regards to changes in the
.NET Contract.

However one of the points that was raised by several Registrars during the
Luxembourg conference, and which is of significant importance to a large
number of Registrars still remains unaddressed

The following amendment has been made in the .NET ICANN-Verisign agreement -

"Volume discounts and marketing support and incentive programs may be made
if the same opportunities to qualify for those discounts and marketing
support and incentive programs is available to all ICANN-accredited
registrars"

We believe the above wording does not sufficiently address the concern that
we and other Registrars had brought up at Luxembourg. For instance if
Verisign came up with a program that says any Registrar who sells 200,000
domain years per month will get a 50% discount, would be within the
definition of "same opportunity" but would not be "equitable or fair"

We believe that the above difference is very important and crucial given the
fact that it is this very guarantee of equitable and fair treatment which
has resulted in a global proliferation of Registrars and fair competition.

We believe that the following clause should be inserted in the RRA and/or
the ICANN-Verisign agreement -

"VNDS shall treat all registrars equitably, and shall afford all registrars
equal opportunities with regard to services set forth in this Agreement"

Thanks

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, Chairman & CEO