ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

Comments and Questions for ICANN

  • To: <net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments and Questions for ICANN
  • From: "Gulyas, Glen" <ggulyas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:06:11 -0500

To Whom it May Concern,

My name is Glen Gulyas and I am President and COO of a company that is
focused on providing content protection to businesses using a
combination of our own technologies and Microsoft's RMS platform.  We
run a managed service that allows businesses to exchange protected
information via email, protect information that is published from
portals and web sites and build trusted relationships across the
internet.  The information we protect must be available at critical
times and the ability to get that information from one point to another
is crucial.  Therefore, the issue of how the .net issue is address will
have implications for us and for our customers and partners.

It is our opinion that the evaluators must focus on the technical needs
of the .net domain.  If the chosen company is not able to fulfill the
needs of the global community, the consequences will be far reaching and
long lasting.  Some things that ICANN should consider when it is
reviewing applications:

1)  What level of Whois service will the operator offer?  Will it be
centralized through a thick registry?  Will it use IRIS or another
enhanced protocol?

3)  Does the applicant have comprehensive physical and technical
security systems in place?  If not, what promises can they make to
install them?

4)  Does the applicant have the ability to maintain a domain registry
this large? Do they have any experience with registries with 5 million
domain names?

5)  What systems does the applicant have in place or plan to put in
place to protect system stability?  Will it be able to detect and
resolve problems before system outages happen?

I realize there are other concerns as well, but the technical abilities
of the company must be paramount in any decision.  Thank you for taking
the time to address these questions and concerns.

"Information Security Is Everyone's Responsibility"

  Glen Gulyas, President & COO, GigaTrust

   The Content Protection Company
  703-467-3742 office  ~  202-390-1000 cell