ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-general]

VeriSign investigated by FTC

  • To: net-rfp-general@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: VeriSign investigated by FTC
  • From: J S <icanndotnet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:54:36 -0700 (PDT)

Fox 5 News in New York City had a report this evening about VeriSign's Jamster
(www.jamster.com) subsidiary which sells subscriptions to mobile content,
primarily ringtones. The news story interviewed individuals who claimed they
had been billed over $100 after responding to an offer for a "free ringtone"
from Jamster. The story mentioned that VeriSign has been sued over this issue
as well, with more info available at: http://www.cmwcomplex.com/jamster.htm.
Finally, the story revealed that the FTC is looking into numerous complaints
about VeriSign's Jamster service.

I'm shocked that a company like VeriSign is permitted to manage .com and .net.
I hope ICANN looks into these serious allegations.