ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[net-rfp-verisign]

Verisign bid

  • To: net-rfp-verisign@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Verisign bid
  • From: Antonio Feros <ferosantonio@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:20:57 -0500 (EST)

Part 1. of the Verisign proposal states that the proposed price for .NET is
predicated on continued operation of .COM:      "By leveraging the integrated
nature of the .com and .net infrastructure

VeriSign will reduce its registry fee by 42% to $3.50 per year exclusive of the
$0.75 ICANN fee (inclusive of the ICANN fee the registration fee is $4.25 per
year) ."

This proposal gives me two concerns.  First, I am worried that these two large
and important TLDs are housed on one infrastructure.   I believe it would be
more stable and secure to have them managed on separate platforms.

Second,  I am concerned that the proposed price for NET ($4.25), and hence the
Business Plan for the operation, is based on an assumption of continued control
of COM.   It is not clear that Verisign will continue to operate COM beyond
2007 (when the current contract expires), nor is it clear what the Registry
price for COM will be after 2007.   To base a .NET business plan on the
possibility of continued COM operation is, I believe, risky.

If you decide to award this selection to Verisign I recommend you negotiate
with them a revised pricing that is separate from their COM operation.  Each of
these important TLDs should rely on an independently stable Business Plan.

Yours sincerely

Antonio Feros

Protokol Systems