ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[neustar-agp-proposal]

Comments of the Internet Commerce Association

  • To: "neustar-agp-proposal@xxxxxxxxx" <neustar-agp-proposal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments of the Internet Commerce Association
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:27:47 -0400

BUTERA & ANDREWS
Attorneys at Law
1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20004-1701
202-347-6875
Philip S. Corwin, Partner
pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By E-Mail

March 26, 2008

Board of Directors
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601

Re: Registry Policies on Domain Tasting

Dear Members of the ICANN Board:

This comment letter is submitted by the Internet Commerce Association (ICA) in
regard to two interrelated items:

 1.  The February 27, 2008 notice opening a comment period on proposals by
Neustar (for .Biz) and Afilias (For .Info) to modify the terms of their add
grace period (AGP) policy.
 2.  The March 6 Domain Name Tasting Motion posted for comment by the GNSO
Council.

As both items propose an identical policy – limiting the number of monthly
domain name deletions during the AGP for which a registrar could receive a full
registration fee credit each month to 50 per month or 10% of that registrar’s
net monthly domain name registrations, whichever is greater – we are filing a
single combined comment letter applicable to both. We do note that the GNSO
Council resolution would establish a process by which registrars could seek an
exemption from the application of the restriction upon a documented showing of
“extraordinary circumstances”, and that each gTLD registry operator would be
required to report to ICANN all such registrars seeking an exemption and what
action was taken in regard to such request.

ICA is a not-for-profit trade association representing the direct search
industry. Its membership is composed of individuals and companies that invest
in domain names (DNs) and develop and monetize the associated websites. ICA’s
members collectively hold portfolios comprised of tens of millions of DNs.
Domain name investors and developers are the new media and e-commerce companies
of the twenty-first century, with the current asset value of the direct search
industry standing in excess of $10 billion and with these assets generating at
least $1-2 billion in annual advertising revenues and associated e-commerce
transactions. ICA’s mission is to promote the benefits of the activities of
professional domain name investors, owners and developers to the press,
advertisers, and governmental authorities on a global basis; and to strive for
fairness among regulators and in ICANN’s dispute resolution process as well as
in the taxation and treatment of DN registrants under all relevant laws,
regulations, and agreements in the U.S. and other nations. ICA provides a
unified voice for a membership with common interests and a diverse collection
of experience in the professional domain name ownership community. The
community represented by ICA has risked large amounts of capital in order to
develop domain names. Professional domain name registrants are a major source
of the fees that support registrars, registries, and ICANN itself.

Background -- General ICA Position on Domain Name Tasting

As stated in our January 28, 2008 letter to the Board in regard to the GNSO’s
Initial Report on Domain Tasting:

The ICA believes that abusive domain tasting is an unintended and insupportable
misuse of the add/grace period and should be ended. Because the practice of
domain tasting is an economic phenomenon based upon the fact that thousands of
names can be registered for a short term at no cost we believe that the best
means of curbing abusive tasting is to impose a price that is minimal for a
single or small group of domain names but substantial for thousands of test
registrations. The imposition of a nominal non-refundable registration fee by
ICANN, perhaps enhanced by individual actions by TLD registries, should be
tried and evaluated before taking the more radical step of totally eliminating
the add/grace period.

This was not a new position for our Association. On March 15, 2007 we submitted
a comment letter (http://forum.icann.org/lists/registryservice/msg00000.html)
in support of the PIR proposal to impose an “Excess Deletion Fee”. As we stated
at that time:

The ICA supports adoption of the Excess Deletions Fee proposed by the Public
Interest Registry (PIR) for .org domain names. This new policy would impose a
"restocking fee" of $.05 (5 cents) for registrations deleted during the five
day add/drop grace period when the percentage of such deletions by any single
registrar exceeds ninety percent of the initial registrations made within a
calendar month.

The ICA recognizes that repetitive mass registration of domain names (DNs) for
the purpose of determining their pay per click (PPC) advertising viability
(know as "domain tasting") can lead to abuse of the five day grace period. In
particular, the ICA opposes "domain kiting", in which particular DNs are
registered and deleted for sequential five day periods within the registry's
add/drop grace period, thereby allowing for de facto DN ownership absent its
cost. We believe that the PIR proposal is a reasonable policy designed to
address such abuse and clearly demonstrates that individual registries can
readily take action to address the legitimate concerns that have been raised by
the practice of excessive DN "tasting".

That proposal was subsequently adopted and, as subsequently noted by the
relevant GNSO Report, has resulted in a reduction of domain name deletions on
.Org of more than 90 percent and a complete cessation of tasting by the two
organizations most involved in abusive tasting.

In September 2007 the ICA’s Board adopted a member Code of Conduct
(http://www.internetcommerce.org/member_code_of_conduct). That Code addresses
domain name tasting and related issues addressed in the subject GNSO Report as
follows:

The Internet Commerce Association’s (ICA) Member Code of Conduct expresses the
ICA’s recognition of the responsibilities of its members to the intellectual
property, domain name, and at large Internet communities and will guide members
in conducting their domain name investment and development activities with
professionalism, respect and integrity.

All members of ICA are committed to addressing the issues facing the evolving
domain name industry, which include:

Protection of Intellectual Property Rights:  A registrant shall follow accepted
trademark law and respect the brands and trademarks of others. Members will not
intentionally and in bad faith register and use a domain name that is identical
or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark.  Registrants shall
respond promptly to legitimate disputes relating to alleged infringement of
intellectual property rights.

Domain Name Tasting: Members should be supportive of changes in ICANN policy or
self-driven registry initiatives that end abusive domain name tasting,
including such market-based approaches as a restocking fee.  All activity
related to domain name registration should respect all other areas of the Code
of Conduct, most notably including protection of intellectual property rights.

Domain Name Kiting: A registrant has the responsibility to pay the registration
cost of a domain name when used beyond the applicable Add/Grace period.  A
registrant should not abuse the applicable Add/Grace period by serially
deleting and re-registering a domain name with the intent of avoiding payment
for such registration and use, a process commonly referred to as “domain
kiting.”

Strict Adherence to Internet Fraud Laws: Members of the ICA are committed to
adhering to all applicable laws that seek to curb and control Internet fraud
and abuse.  Cybersquatting, the practice of registering and reserving an
Internet domain name for the purpose of reselling it to the rightful owner at
an inflated price, is condemned; as are practices such as phishing, which is
the process of attempting to obtain the personal information of unsuspecting
Internet users for illicit purposes.

Finally, during the November 1, 2007 Public Forum session at the ICANN Meeting
held in Los Angeles, I delivered the following oral remarks on this subject
(http://losangeles2007.icann.org/files/losangeles/LA-PublicForum2-1NOV07.txt):

>>PHILIP CORWIN:   Yes, good afternoon.  Philip Corwin, Counsel to the
Internet Commerce Association, representing domain name investors and
developers.

I would like to start by expressing the appreciation of our membership
to Dr. Cerf for his vision and dedication in helping to create and
guide the development of this very incredible and transformative
technology that we call the Internet.  And thank you, Vint.

Briefly, I will address four key issues for our members, but first is
domain name tasting.  Last month our year-old trade group adopted a
formal member code of conduct which opposes abusive domain name tasting
and calls for the eradication of domain name kiting.

We are pleased that the GNSO approved a PDP on this subject and called
on ICANN to consider immediate fee-based steps to eliminate abusive
tasting.  And we would go beyond that and call on the registries to
consider using the dot org action as a model for steps that they might
take to address tasting at their individual top-level domains.

Thus, in keeping with our Code of Conduct and our prior statements to ICANN on
this matter, we enthusiastically support the expeditious adoption of economic
measures by ICANN and individual gTLD registries to curb abusive domain name
tasting by imposing a meaningful cost on misuse of the add/grace period.

Position on the Neustar and Afilias Proposals

Consistent with our prior positions on the issue of domain tasting, we support
individual efforts by gTLD registries to curb abusive domain tasting and
therefore have no objection to these proposals.

To some extent the separate gTLDs compete against one another and the
marketplace will tend to curb the adoption of unreasonable policies. However,
we are concerned that there appears to be a lack of empirical justification for
the precise policies they seek to have approved. In this regard, we would note
that the policy which we supported one year ago and that was subsequently
implemented by PIR for .Org resulted in the near-cessation of all abusive
tasting at that gTLD through the imposition of a nominal five cent fee on
excess deletions, defined as more than ninety percent in a given month. By way
of contrast the present proposals would permit these gTLD registries to retain
the entire registration fee for deletions in excess of ten percent per month.
We believe that the ICANN Board should inquire as to the method by which this
proposed policy was arrived at and determine whether it is reasonable and fair
to registrants prior to modification of the relevant registry contracts to
accommodate it.

Position on the Draft GNSO Domain Name Tasting Motion

At this time we oppose adoption of any final GNSO Motion relevant to domain
name tasting because such action would be premature. In addition, we cannot
support action by the ICANN Board to impose a single anti-tasting policy on all
gTLD registry operators that provide for an AGP because such a “one size fits
all” policy discourages registry experimentation and incorrectly presumes that
the conditions at each registry are essentially identical and that a single
approach to curb tasting will have the same effect across all registries.

Adoption of a GNSO Motion on domain tasting is premature for two reasons:

1.      Public comments and constituency impact statements regarding the
February 8, 2008 GNSO Draft Final Report on Domain Tasting are still being
considered by the Council for further incorporation into a further draft that
is being readied for Council consideration at its scheduled meeting of April
17, 2008. Given that the Council has yet to issue a Final Report on Domain
Tasting and that the ICANN community has not yet had an opportunity to review
and evaluate that Final Report it is clearly premature for the GNSO to adopt a
Domain Name Tasting Motion that urges action by the ICANN Board.

2.      At its meeting last month in New Delhi the ICANN Board indicated that
it was actively considering adoption within the ICANN budget for the coming
year of a change in policy that would impose its 20 cent registration fee on
all names registered with any gTLD, including those names deleted during the
AGP. It is widely anticipated that the Board will adopt this proposal at the
June 2008 meeting in Paris and. We believe that such adoption would largely
eradicate abusive tasting across all gTLDs and that no further action should be
taken by the Board on this subject until this non-refundable fee has been
implemented within the ICANN budget and its effect evaluated after a meaningful
interval.

In addition, Board imposition of a uniform “excess deletion” approach towards
curbing abusive tasting at all gTLDs would prevent experimentation by the
individual registries to find the approach best suited to their particular
conditions. For example, while the PIR approach has been highly effective at
.Org a different approach might well be required of VeriSign to curb abusive
tasting at .Com. Further, the only means by which a gTLD registry operator in
disagreement with the imposition of such a “one size fits all” policy could
avoid its imposition would be to terminate its AGP entirely. While that result
has been publicly advocated by some trademark interests we believe it would be
extreme and against the interests of the average registrant.

Conclusion

The ICA appreciates the opportunity to comment on the subject proposals and
Motion. We look forward to reviewing the GNSO’s Final Report on Domain Tasting
when it is made available this Spring.
Sincerely,
Philip S. Corwin
Counsel to the Internet Commerce Association