ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtld-applicant-support-handbook]

Comment on the gTLD Applicant Support Program (updated version; v2_20120110)

  • To: new-gtld-applicant-support-handbook@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on the gTLD Applicant Support Program (updated version; v2_20120110)
  • From: Carolin Silbernagl <cs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:22:59 +0100

Dear ICANN-Board

dotHIV applies for the top-level domain .hiv to establish the red ribbon of the digital age. In creating a socially dedicated namespace, we fight HIV and Aids thereby operating in the global public interest. As a non-profit organisation we pass all profits on to projects fighting the virus and its social effects: educational workers, health organizations, research projects and others with the ultimate goal to beat HIV/Aids one day.

The financial background of our TLD application is based on the generosity and the foresight of individuals who share our goals. As all proceeds are used for the cause, investors do not generate financial returns on their investment. Fundraising under such circumstances is obviously difficult.

This being said and in appreciation of the gTLD Applicant Support Program as a whole we would like to submit three comments and corresponding proposals for amendmend to the gTLD Applicant Support Program which are in line with the JAS working group recommendations:

Lower treshold to include community-targeted applicants

The definition of the ?public interest? criteria does not meet the recommendations by the JAS working group and seems to be too narrow to be reachable, especially for applicants serving a public interest, but operating in a developed economy. We have compiled the following suggestions to change the wording without leaving the scope of the original criteria:

- Change ?community-based? to ?community-targeted? projects.
- Amend the definition of ?Public interest benefit to cultural, linguistic or ethnic communities? to ?Public interest benefit to cultural, linguistic or ethnic communities as well as communities with a defined social need in case, the TLD is employed to support the respective social cause.?

No rejection/disqualification of applications

We sincerely urge ICANN not to reject applicants who do not meet all of the criteria. This puts needy applicants under an additional risk. We kindly ask for an option for those applicants who closely missed the threshold (e.g. 7 of 16 points) to pursue the regular gTLD process along with a grace period to acquire the missing ressources. There has been no such recommendation by the JAS working group.

No further delays for applicants

Applications should be proceeded right after the final award announcement, latest in December 2012. Because of ongoing operational costs, further delays are especially hard to bear for socially driven applicants who have difficulties in financing their application.

We would like to thank ICANN for the opportunity to comment.

Carolin Silbernagl, chair of dotHIV e.V., Berlin, Germany

---
Carolin Silbernagl
dotHIV gemeinnütziger e. V.
Lehmbruckstr. 3
10245 Berlin
Germany

cs@xxxxxxxxxx
www.dothiv.org

support us: facebook.com/dothiv

dotHIV gemeinnütziger e. V. (Incorporated Nonprofit Association)
Management Board: Carolin SIlbernagl, Tobias Mölder, Philipp Kafkoulas
Commercial Register: Amtsgericht Berlin (Charlottenburg) VR 31092, Registered Office: Berlin