ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtld-questions]

the topic of new gTLDs and the role of gNSO Council

  • To: <new-gtld-questions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: the topic of new gTLDs and the role of gNSO Council
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:26:10 -0400

This topic will be discussed at the gNSO Council meeting on Thursday, July
28. At Luxembourg, there were several discussions regarding the role of the
gNSO in making policy for gTLDs and how the staff paper fits into that
process. This topic came up in the board/council breakfast; in the Cross
Constituency meeting with the Board, and in the public forum.

In my view, as an elected BC rep to the gNSO Council, I consider the
introduction of new gTLDs a policy issue for gTLD space. I believe that the
gNSO Council should develop a working plan, and include in that plan the
appropriate consultation with the community, other SOs, and advisory
committees, including seeking any necessary external studies or advice to
fully advise the development of policy in this area.

Thus, I will not make substantive comments in this forum. I look forward to
the discussion in the gNSO council on establishing a path forward to
undertake the necessary work, which should include appropriate outreach and
consultation with other entities, both internal and external, as
appropriate..

Marilyn Cade