ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-pdp-comments]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

new gTLDs

  • To: <new-gtlds-pdp-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: new gTLDs
  • From: "Kerry Libberton" <kerrylib@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 11:00:03 -0700

I a general Internet user, and am not entirely sure if this is where to make
my comment, but hopefully it will be read by those in charge of making
policy decisions.

I recall recent furor over the debate about creating a top level listing for
adult addresses.  Comments about ?legitimizing? the industry are what come
to mind.

Like it or not, it is a ?legitimate? industry and is here to stay.  Creating
a TLD for adult sites seems to me a great way to help secure access to these
sites by only those who wish to access them.  Also it would allow easier
control to prevent access by users who should not be allowed to visit
(children, workplace computers, etc.)

For that matter, another TLD that seems to be a logical one to me would be
?.KID? or ?.CHILD?.  Registration under these domain names would require the
operator to guarantee they are child safe.  By having these two TLDs,
parents could be given better tools to protect their children on the
Internet.  Prevent access to ?.ADULT? addresses and allow access to ?.CHILD?
sites.

I would suggest that ?.CHILD? domain names be required to limit advertising
and especially ?pop-up? ads, probably also require that they not be used as
?commercial? sites.  Users would have to connect to a companion .COM site to
purchase products.

I hope these thoughts will be heard and considered for future reference.

Kerry Libberton

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>