ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-pdp-comments]

Re: [ga] Many vs. few new gTLDs - a graphical representation

  • To: "Jeff Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ICANN new-gtlds" <new-gtlds-pdp-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Many vs. few new gTLDs - a graphical representation
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:04:18 -0500

Not only that, but I teach basic computer to newbys. I can guarantee you
they are more comfortable with a phone book than they are going into "my
computer" and searching for their own files they created, let alone ones
that someone else may have created.

There are a lot of techies here on this list and power users. Not a majority
of users, by any stretch of the imagination are technically savvy. New
computer users don't use windows explorer for example or manually open my
computer to search for files. They only know shortcuts through
start/programs.

The same when building websites. If you don't put "click here", many won't
know that it's even a link. But people do click links. They do not know how
it works or why. They go to search engines vs typing intuitive names into
the address bar.

So learning a hierarchal system vs learning how to use a phone book is not
better IMHO.

Chris McElroy
http://www.newsandmediablog.com