ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-pdp-comments]

Re: [ga] Re: Many vs. few new gTLDs - a graphical representation

  • To: "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jim McAtee" <jmcatee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <new-gtlds-pdp-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Re: Many vs. few new gTLDs - a graphical representation
  • From: "kidsearch" <kidsearch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:05:05 -0500

Oh, but George, when a big corporation like Proctor and Gamble do it, it's
not the same thing. </sarcasm> Microsoft and AOL are huge speculators and
there are others, yet when an individual does it, people treat that
differently.

Speculation is a very important part of capitalism and a free market just as
you said. I just would liek to see that expanded into tld namespace.

George, I sold almost all of my speculative domain names before 2000 and got
out with a small profit, and now only buy domain names that I plan to use. I
might however indulge my speculative nature with a new tld if given the
opportunity. I could get the funding if there was a system in place where we
knew the investment would be a safe one. A $50,000 non-refundable
application fee, where the org that you pay the fee to can just say "nope,
that one isn't a good idea" and keep the 50 grand, is not a safe bet.

Chris McElroy
http://www.runawayteens.org