ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[new-gtlds-pdp-initial-report]

Comment

  • To: new-gtlds-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment
  • From: "Matthias Jungbauer" <matjung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 03:53:37 +0100

Dear Sirs,

as Top Level Domain Consultant I would like to thank you for having compiled this report.

It is a good summary of the controversy we have.

And I would like to take the opportunity to comment a view points.

Did we think about gTLDs consisting of characters outside the UTF-8 or ASCII character set?

Section E.4 Contractual conditions
2. Both Bhonsle and Goel & Meta propose that sunrise
periods be compulsory for all new gTLDs in order to safeguard IP holders? interests.

Comment:
it's not in your text but I just asume that "safeguard IP holders interest" refers to money.

I don't mind weather sunrise periods are becoming compulsory or not, but, I do mind if that means that during the sunrise period the request for a domain name must be more expensive than afterwards.
I do not see any good reason why the request of a domain name should be more expensive in the first few months of a gTLD then after the sunrise.

For those who don't know it. Currently you can request ccTLDs ending with .eu and to request a domain name during the sunrise period was in terms of cost. You better do your own research.

The purpose of new gTLDs is not to create a new source of income for the DNS, Registrars and Web hoster industry. That may be a side effect.
Not the one with more money should have the pleasure in operating the root server. I am rather fond of the idea to see the one with the lowest total cost of ownership given a specified level of quality, reliability, security, etc. doing the job.

Section F Recommendations
8. Secondly, further analysis is required about the operational impacts of
introducing new gTLDs which would enable a better understanding of the
full costs of introducing new TLDs (including legal counsel, operational
and policy, board time)

Comment:
I would like to see that you publish the results of this analysis in case it is carried out.

Kind regards

Matthias