ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[nomcom-bylaw-revision]

Proposed bylaw change

  • To: nomcom-bylaw-revision@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed bylaw change
  • From: Ole Jacobsen <ole@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

I support the proposed bylaw change. Having worked on the ICANN nomcom
I can confirm that the current text has unintended consequences which
hinders the nomcom in its work.

Let's take a fictional example: A citizen and resident of an Asian
country is identfied as a "finalist" for a given board position.
During the nomcom's deliberations, it emerges that 25 years ago this
candidate obtained US citizenship while he/she was working at an
American university. The university position lasted for 3 years,
after which time our candiate returned to <Asian Country> where he/she
has lived and worked ever since.

Under the current rule, this candidate represents BOTH Asia AND North
America and, depending on what other candidates are on the board or
in the candidate pool, could very well find himself/herself INELIGIBLE
to serve because there would be too many NORTH AMERICANS on the board.

This is clearly silly, don't you think, Elizabeth?

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
http://organdemo.info