ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[nomcom-review-2009]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

NomCom Review, Section 2

• To: nomcom-review-2009@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: NomCom Review, Section 2
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 07:39:26 -0400

This is the second of two, or perhaps three, comments for the record on the Draft Report (DR) of the NomCom Revew Finalization Working Group. This comment is directed to the text of the DR, Section 2.

There are 17 recommendations.

Recommendation 1, staffing. I'm puzzled by the "Moreover" observation in the WG non-adoption of the staffing recommendation that "it would conflict with the Board review recommendation to focus the Board on non-managment issues." The NomCom is not a Board activity, it is an activity created by the Board, according to the bylaws. The logical closure of what appears to be the rational offered, that staff tasked with bylaw-specific function ought not be responsible to the Board except through the general staff, reduces the value of the bylaws as a source of specific authorization.

Fundamentally, it seems that the issue is shall the NomCom have independent means, in particular, a fractional FTE, and while the better choice is "yes", the recommendation appears to be "no".

Recommendation 2, candidates. If I write a 3rd comment, this will be the subject matter.

Recommendation 3, requirements. A formal procedure for eliciting the views of each body (Board, GNSO C, CCNSO C, ALAC, and others perhaps) on the requirements each may have for NomCom appointees may be useful, but the fundamental requirement is the independence of the NomCom in forming its own requirements and making informed, independent appointments.

The discussion of gender is a step towards fundamental diversity, however economic diversity, and infrastructure accessibility are germane.

Recommendation 4, recruitment. ICANN lacks a minor league system, and below that, a farm team system, to identify talented contributors and advance them as they mature to greater responsibilities. The idea that the NomCom can "recruit" for a half-dozen senior slots per year, and "reach out to encourage participation" is absurd. The WG, and its anticeedents, profoundly err on the problem of recruitment.

Recommendation 8, interest. The NomCom appointed component to the GNSO Council is a fundamental challenge to the mutually destructive postures of the two dominant blocks which have deadlocked over trivia for the past decade. The NomCom appointed component to the CCNSO Council is a fundamental challenge to the notions that iso3166 allocations may be repurposed arbitrarily, and that iso3166 exhausts the requirement for entities other than for-profit corporations to engage in registry operations. Abandonment of either, or both, of these assertions of independence from narrow, and destructive advocacy interests would be unfortunate.

Recommendation 10, scaling. The Board decision that no new stakeholder groups be recognized (as the designated rep. for the City applicants to the OSC's OWT, tasked with "Draft Proposal for GNSO Organizational Structure", this subject is rather close) makes this section in need of substantial reworking.

Recommendation 11, lottery. Here I observer that when the selection of the Registrar Constituency's member of the NomCom was discussed, I urged that as ICANN had no real "Business Constituency", just the perpetual Philip-Shepard-and-Mike-Rodenbaugh show, that the RC should try and get people representing real businesses appointed by the NomCom. My view hasn't changed. Fundamental to the independence of the NomCom is its ability to have purpose, to attempt to act with specific purpose, rather than to operate a lottery. If the process can't get business people appointed, neither registry/registrar nor IPC notions of "the net as business", then the NomCom can. New business models must be able to enter the ICANN process.

I've considered each Recommendation not discussed here and none rise to the level of these above.

This concludes my comments on Section 2.

Eric Brunner-Williams
in a personal capacity

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy