ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] NPOC Proposal for IOC-RC protection

  • To: npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] NPOC Proposal for IOC-RC protection
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:06:11 -0400

Dear NPOC members:

Greetings from San José. As Acting Vice Chair, I would like to consult you
on an important issue:

*Context*: Given the tension here on the IOC and Red Cross exemption (some
of us call it protection) and the Drafting Committee Chair report to GNSO
this morning - we find it wise, for the benefit of our current and future
NPOC members, as well as the ICANN Community at large, that NPOC promotes
and supports a) the proposal from the WG and b), in a broader manner, the
generic extension of this protection based on avoiding the setting of a
precedent, and based on objective and independantly verifiable criteria to
define who or who does not qualify:

*Proposition:*
Would receive new gTLD protection: "Any organization operating globally in
the public interest and enjoying International Legal Personality in the
country where its Headquarters are located, and its members."

Thank you for your attention to this important matter. Please respond by
Tuesday 13 March 17:00 San José time.

Best regards,

Alain Berranger
--