ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] RE: NPOC Meeting in Costa Rica!

  • To: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] RE: NPOC Meeting in Costa Rica!
  • From: Eduardo Monge <eduardo.monge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:40:15 -0600

Dear All,

Find below my remarks during this morning´s NPOC Meeting in Costa Rica.   It
was a pleasure to host the NPOC delegation attending ICANN43.  I look forward
to continuing working with NPOC to increase the knowledge learning,
participation and representation of other NFP and NGOs in the ICANN community.

The Omar Dengo Foundation of Costa Rica is a private, not-for profit,
non-governmental organization that develops and executes national and regional
projects in the fields of human development, educational innovation, and
digital technologies.

The Foundations strives to improve the quality and equity of learning
opportunities for people, in an effort to harness their development through
innovative education proposals and models focused on people and the use of
digital technologies.

The Foundation is responsible for the introduction of digital technologies and
the use of internet for educational purposes in Costa Rican public schools. Its
National Program of Educational Informatics, jointly executed in partnership
with Costa Rica's Ministry of Public Education, currently serves 473,647
elementary and high schools students nationwide in 1,165 public schools in the
country that represents 63% of country´s student population from Kindergarten
to grade nine (K-9). This program will increase its coverage this year and in
the early part of the next year to close to five hundred thirty thousand
students in more than 1,700 schools through educational programs that use
portable computers and intensive use of the Internet.

The Omar Dengo Foundation's programs rely on the Internet and Domain Name
Service (DNS) policies to provide valuable services to their individual
beneficiaries and users´ communities.

All our beneficiaries, children and youth from Costa Rican public schools and
their teachers and their families, disable and disadvantage children and youth,
micro and small entrepreneurs, senior citizens, educators and the public at
large, expect that the Foundation's educational services using the Internet be
secure, stable and reliable. Without the work of ICANN and its community, these
tasks will be difficult to accomplish.

The Foundation is the first member of the Non-for-Profit Operational Concerns
Constituency (NPOC) in Costa Rica. We expect many more local NGOs to join us.

Speaking on behalf of the Omar Dengo Foundation, I can say that we believe that
NPOC can represent the operational interests of not-for-profit and
non-governmental organizations similar to the Omar Dengo Foundation.

We think that NPOC shall be able to channel the real world perspective of how
DNS policies affect the operational readiness of NGOs and by doing it, this
growing constituency will bring in new non-commercial voices, and members into
the Non Commercial Stakeholder's Group (NCSG).

The road to growing participation and representation of not-for-profit and
non-governmental organizations in ICANN is through NPOC.

Regards,

Eduardo Monge

Project Development and

International Relations Officer