ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Re: [PC-NCSG] Proposed NCSG PC statement for IOC/RC issue

  • To: Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Re: [PC-NCSG] Proposed NCSG PC statement for IOC/RC issue
  • From: Alain Berranger <alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 00:14:03 -0400

Hi Mary,

I do feel that your rationale below is correct and your suggestions
appropriate. Given the situation however, it is best to stick to the full
NPOC statement as it may be otherwise interpretated if incomplete. Indeed
NPOC favors a broader generic criteria but not at the expense of the
current exemption - just for future use, because the retroactive
application of the criteria will justify the current exemption. I think the
"International Legal Personality" will prove to be a robust test and limit
the scope and impact of precedence.

Your suggested sentence works for me better if the full NPOC statement is
included...ie...:

* a) that the IOC and RC receive exemption;  and b) that any organization
would receive the same treatment if they past the "International Legal
Personality" test. Hence, the proposal: Would receive new gTLD protection
"Any organization operating globally in the public interest and enjoying
International Legal Personality in the country where its Headquarters are
located, and its members."*

Thanks for your consideration of NPOC's views.

Best regards, Alain