ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] FYI - ICANN Awarded Contract to Continue to Perform Internet Assigned Numbers Authority Functions | ICANN

  • To: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] FYI - ICANN Awarded Contract to Continue to Perform Internet Assigned Numbers Authority Functions | ICANN
  • From: Eduardo Monge <eduardo.monge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 18:06:30 -0600

For your information:

From Soac-infoalert:

http://www.icann.org/en/news/press/releases/release-02jul12-en

Washington, D.C... ICANN will continue to perform the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority (IANA) functions following the awarding of a new contract by the U.S.
Department of Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA).

The IANA functions involve the global coordination of unique identifiers that
keep the Internet running smoothly. These include (1) the coordination of the
assignment of technical Internet protocol parameters; (2) the administration of
certain responsibilities associated with the Internet Domain Name Service (DNS)
root zone management; (3) the allocation of Internet numbering resources; and
(4) other services related to the management of the ARPA and INT top-level
domains (TLDs).

“We are honored by the awarding of this contract and we are committed to
performing the IANA functions at the highest possible level,” said Akram
Atallah, ICANN President and Chief Executive Officer. “We look forward to
continuing our work with the multi-stakeholder community to ensure that we
operate effectively, transparently and in the global public interest.”

The new contract term begins 1 October 2012. “This is the longest IANA
functions contract we’ve ever had, running for a period of three years with two
2-year renewal options,” said Jamie Hedlund, Vice President of North America.
"This contract reflects the input of the stakeholders from around the globe and
serves as an affirmation of support for ICANN and the multi-stakeholder model."

News of the award came shortly after the conclusion of ICANN’s 44th public
meeting in Prague, Czech Republic. It was the largest public meeting in the
organization’s history with 1,821 registered attendees.
David A. Olive
ICANN