ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

Re: [npoc-voice] Fwd: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Consensus Call: SCI Proposals on Waiver & Voting Outside a Council Meeting

  • To: Olévié Kouami <olivierkouami@xxxxxxxxx>, Cintra Sooknanan <cintra.sooknanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [npoc-voice] Fwd: [gnso-improvem-impl-sc] Consensus Call: SCI Proposals on Waiver & Voting Outside a Council Meeting
  • From: Sam Lanfranco <lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 09:09:10 -0400

Olivie & npoc-voice readers.

I read over the two documents on late motion waivers & voting outside a council meeting. and had partially circulated comments among colleagues, stating that I found nothing objectionable to them. For npoc-voice here are those comments (shortened). I presume that we are comfortable with a consensus. As Policy Committee Chair I will make sure that such future calls for feedback go out to npoc-voice as brief postings with comments to put them in context for the civil society (NPO/NFP) constituency.

RE: THE WAIVER OF THE 10-DAY MOTION SUBMISSION RULE

This is to allow motion submission after the date 10 days prior to a meeting. It requiring unanimous consensus to be considered at the current meeting, is not treated as submitted for the next Council meeting, and if submitted later is not considered as a resubmitted motion. This covers all potential late motion complications, and leaves the way open for proper urgent last minute business to be considered.

RE: VOTING OUTSIDE A COUNCIL MEETING

The final language states: /4.10.4*Eligibility*.For the avoidance of doubt, this Section shall not apply to votes for which absentee ballots would otherwise be permitted under these Operating Procedures. This Section may be applied to instances where a Councilor has requested a deferral of a motion properly submitted under these Operating Procedures, provided all the requirements stated in this Section are fulfilled, unless the Councilor requesting deferral specifically objects to voting outside a meeting at the time deferral is requested./

Rhiameans that a Councilor requesting a deferral can also specifically object to voting outside a meeting, but that such an objection cannot be entered where absentee ballots would otherwise be permitted.

Sam L.