ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Monitoring the Health of the Organization - ICANN

  • To: NPOC membership list <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Monitoring the Health of the Organization - ICANN
  • From: Rudi Vansnick <rudi.vansnick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 00:13:54 +0100

https://www.icann.org/news/blog/monitoring-the-health-of-the-organization

Monitoring the Health of the Organization

Starting this month, ICANN launches its new Quarterly Stakeholder Call. This
call builds from the quarterly shareholder call model used by public companies
to provide factual, detail-based reporting on the organization's performance. A
key difference between the stakeholder call and a shareholder call is that at
ICANN, we do not evaluate our results in sales revenue or competitive position.
Instead, we measure our success in relation to our mission as the coordinator
of technical parameters, Internet Protocol address space and the Domain Name
System.

I think of this call like a regular check-up visit to the doctor's office. You
make the appointment to see your doctor not because you are feeling ill but
because you want to maintain good health. In this check-up visit, you may have
your blood pressure checked, your weight measured and other tests that enable
you and your doctor to monitor your overall health and look for any trends. The
doctor may suggest you lose weight or exercise more or keep doing what you are
doing. (Somehow I always hear I should exercise more.)

Routine and regular check-ups take discipline and planning, and are a sign of
maturity and responsibility whether they are for our personal health, or for
our organization. These check-ups allow us to pause and take stock of our
progress, and ultimately enable us in evolving and thriving.

Our first Quarterly Stakeholder Call will take place on Thursday, 20 November
at 14:00 UTC. You can find more details here:
https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2014-10-28-en. As a reminder, ICANN's
fiscal years run from 1 July to 30 June, and during this call we will focus on
the first quarter period which is 1 July – 30 September 2014.

In recognition of ICANN's coordination role, you will hear updates on the
latest policy and implementation developments. We'll also update you on the
organization's operational achievements and financial standings for this
period. And of course we will leave plenty of time for questions and answers.

I hope that you will join us as we launch this effort to continue to foster
accountability and transparency through regular, open calls. Your scrutiny is
key to our accountability, and these regular check-ups will provide a reliable
window into our activities and financial health. And I promise you it will be
less painful than a regular doctor's visit! At least we won't tell you to
exercise more.

David A. Olive
Sent from my iPad