ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[npoc-voice]

[npoc-voice] Possible NPOC discussion on the pending .health gTLD

  • To: "npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx" <npoc-voice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [npoc-voice] Possible NPOC discussion on the pending .health gTLD
  • From: Sam Lanfranco <lanfran@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:17:01 -0500

*Background: *There has long been opposition within the global health community to the pending ICANN awarding of the .health gTLD. Recently ALAC, within ICANN, has asked for a suspension of the awarding of gTLDs involving regulated professions. With regard to .health the global health community is concerned about the scope for abuse in the provision of services and products on the Internet.

*NPOC Issue: *Since much of the global health community is composed of organizations that are not-for-profit I am asking whether or not NPOC wants a policy discussion to try to arrive at an NPOC position on this issue.

*My position: *While sharing the concerns about the scope for abuse, I have not taken a position for or against the granting regulated profession gTLDs up to now. Today I have now posted my position and analysis as a blog: *Rethinking, and Redirecting the Global Health Strategy on the Proposed .health gTLD,* on my blog samlanfranco.blogspot.ca

My position with regard to .health and other regulated processions and sectors, is that opposition to their creation by ICANN is misplaced and efforts to protect global health and welfare should be focused elsewhere. While it may be the case of an opportunity lose when the World Health Organization (WHO) did not once again seek the .health gTLD, it is not clear if a WHO registry would have, or a LLC registry will have, any substantive control over the core issues and challenges of regulated professions activities and behaviour on the Internet. These ongoing issues, and those struggles, will have to be conducted elsewhere.

Express your views. If there is interest within NPOC we will have policy discussion here and possibly reach an NPOC consensus position.

Sam Lanfranco, Chair

NPOC Policy Committee