

20130219_NPOC_MONTHLY_ID765126

Alain Berranger: We'll move straight to the agenda. I apologize for the delay. So good morning, good afternoon and good evening in my case. So Gisella, would you be good enough to do the roll call please?

Gisella Gruber: Yes, (inaudible) on today's NPOC's call on Tuesday the 19th of February. On today's call we have Alain Berranger, Kiren Malancharuvil, Marie-laure Lemineaur, Danilo Piaggese, Cintra Sooknanan, Sam Lanfranco, who will be joining us shortly I believe on the audio, and Rudi Vansnick has let me know that he will be with us in about 10 minutes. We have apologies noted from Caroline Figueres and from (inaudible). I don't believe I've left anyone off the roll call. If I have, please speak now. And also please remind --

Alain Berranger: Gisella?

Gisella Gruber: Sorry, yes?

Alain Berranger: Who was the last person you had regrets for after Caroline?

Gisella Gruber: (Inaudible)

Alain Berranger: Okay.

Gisella Gruber: (Inaudible) and also please remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you. Over to you, Alain.

Alain Berranger: Okay, thank you very much, Gisella. Great to talk to you guys. Sorry about the delay. (Inaudible) --

Sam Lanfranco: Sam Lanfranco.

Operator: Joined.

Alain Berranger: Welcome, Sam.

Sam Lanfranco: Thank you.

Alain Berranger: Welcome, Sam. This is Alain. We're just starting the meeting. Cintra, can I point you to agenda 2 please and business arising from the January meeting?

Cintra Sooknanan: Hi, Alain. This is Cintra. Most of the business arising from January's meeting is actually (inaudible) on the agenda. Such as (inaudible) some of the (inaudible). It will result for this -- towards the end of the week in whether or not this time when actually convenient,

as well as the frequency of calls. I suggested that perhaps we can meet with (inaudible) and we can (inaudible) the membership. It will (inaudible) this time as well as the (inaudible).

- Alain Berranger: Okay, thank you, Cintra. I must admit that your sound is pretty lousy. I'm not sure I've understood, maybe it's only me. Did everybody understand what Cintra was saying?
- Unidentified Participant: Not completely.
- Unidentified Participant: Me neither, it was very low.
- Unidentified Participant: Yes.
- Alain Berranger: Okay.
- Gisella Gruber: Cintra, Gisella here. I didn't understand other. I just heard my name and (inaudible). Maybe if you'd be so kind as to type into the AC chat. Thank you.
- Cintra Sooknanan: Sure, I will do so.
- Gisella Gruber: Alain, if I may. Just sorry, Gisella here. Just a reminder that we're using the Adobe Connect chat, but that Alain Berranger is not actually in the Adobe Connect chat. So if you do wish to speak either put up your hand and Marie-laure will let him know. Or if you are not in the Adobe Connect room, then if you'd just please speak up. Thank you.
- Alain Berranger: Okay, thank you very much. So if I understand, Cintra is redialing in?
- Cintra Sooknanan: Can you hear me now? This is Cintra.
- Alain Berranger: Yes, this is a bit better, Cintra. So can you go back to item 2 and --? Thanks a lot. Sorry to have you repeat this.
- Cintra Sooknanan: Right. Particularly because you are not on the Adobe Connect room, Alain, I will repeat. The items, such as (inaudible) quality (inaudible) as well as the fund raising, those were items that were mentioned in the last meeting.
- Alain Berranger: Okay.
- Cintra Sooknanan: In particular, what has not been tabled on our agenda was whether or not this was a convenient time for calls as well as the frequency of calls. So I was suggesting that possibly we could request a (inaudible), Gisella. If she can send out a (inaudible) call to our membership so that we can (inaudible) whether or not this is the most appropriate time and frequency.
- Alain Berranger: Okay. Any comments?
- Unidentified Participant: Fine.
- Alain Berranger: Fine? Okay, so we will do it that way. We'll move to item 3, the summary and outcomes from the other meetings. I think that the people on the call that were not in LA are Danilo?
- Danilo Piaggese: No, I was not.
- Alain Berranger: You were not. Kiren, you weren't there. And Rudy, he hasn't checked in, wasn't there. All the others were there, plus Caroline and Poncelet. Well, it was a two-day meeting and I only have five minutes to give you the flavor. And maybe I'll summarize it in two points -

- two quick points, which were highlights for me. And that my colleagues, who were there had. Would that work?

Danilo Piaggese:

Um-hmm.

Alain Berranger:

All right. So, the two things -- the most important thing for me and -- is the two weeks prior to that LA meeting we -- a number of us came and -- me in particular -- came into a position where I was able to dialogue freely and openly with the new leadership of NCUC in the person of Bill Drake. And as well, noticed an increasing, as a result of these discussions and laying things on the table clearly between the video, that there was a change of attitude towards NPOC, a significant change from what we have encountered since -- in Costa Rica since March last year.

So that gave me a chance to have a pre LA meeting with Bill Drake in person and clear out a few misunderstandings and as well as irritants. And that also occurred with Robin in terms of her really working hard at making the executive committee of the NCSG work faster and better. So that is a work in progress, but we were able to see that these pre L.A. discussions, they colored the spirit of understanding and collaboration in the non-commercial stakeholders group.

So I guess we here on the call and all active now with NPOC kind of inherited some of these legacy irritants and situations. And I'm quite pleased to tell you that I honestly think that we are now on a robust way to collaborate. That doesn't mean we always agree, but the L.A. spirit should continue.

The second point that was important was the fact that the non contracted (inaudible) met for the first time as a group and realized that there were issues that separated us, but there was also issues that regrouped us. So all in all, I would give a very positive note to this meeting.

And now invite my colleagues who were there, I'm thinking of Cintra, Sam and Marie-laure. I don't know if Klaus is on the call. No, I guess not. So, Marie-laure, Sam and then Cintra, if you can close and share your impressions from the meeting.

Marie-laure Lemineaur:

Yes, Marie-laure speaking. Of course. Basically I share the same feeling as Alain and also I would say that it was a good opportunity to spend two days with other people who are community members of NCUC and other actually constituencies we actually do see in the corridors usually during the ICANN meetings, but we don't really have the opportunities to sit down and have a chat and share ideas because we're all busy doing each other's activities. So, and I thought it was a very good -- well, a very good meeting in this sense and also so to be all together, see together and listen to ICANN staff and their plans and ideas and what's going on and as a group. And it was very productive and we all got to know each other a little bit better and about our perspectives and objectives. And it was I think a good moment.

Alain Berranger:

Thank you very much, Marie-laure. Sam, please? If you can give us (inaudible).

Sam Lanfranco:

Yes, just a couple of comments. Yes, I think it was a good session for me for two reasons. One, I'm new to this and getting caught up. And the other is that I could watch some of the dynamics and there was a lot more, I think, collegial horizontal conversation than frequently happens when you have different constituencies. The one area that I think stood out in my view was the presentation of the outreach strategy, which I think is a preliminary outreach strategy. That it has to be a lot more robust than the kind of discussion that's taking place now.

And the other thing that I don't think anybody is thinking about is to the extent that an outreach strategy is successful, the success of that outreach strategy is going to pose some considerable logistics problems for how ICANN governs itself. I think I mentioned there

what would happen if 10,000, 20,000 or 30,000 of the Civil Society Group in South Africa alone decided they want to have a voice in the ICANN non-profit NGO constituency?

So I think that there are these two parts. One is getting the word out broadly and what it is that's trying to be gotten across because it's not just like getting a brand before people, but it's getting people involved in something that doesn't all directly concern being involved with ICANN. It also involves a governance at the national level and so forth that somebody else has to lead. But it'll be part of that outreach strategy.

Alain Berranger: Thank you very much, Sam. Cintra?

Cintra Sooknanan: Hi, this is Cintra. I agree with what was said before. I do think that there were quite a few positive upbeat discussions with (inaudible) as well. And it was (inaudible) hearing some of these objectives as the direction of ICANN. I think it's important for us really to (inaudible) some of what he has said. And I did make some notes, which I will share with you. But I think it's important for us to reflect on that in terms of our (inaudible).

Alain Berranger: Thank you very much. I would add that there was some excellent informal time with many of the board members. We weren't part of a meeting, but were coming together for a board meeting the day after. And they came in and had -- some of them had a session with the entire house. And that and informal corridor and cocktail discussions was also very prominent. Robin, the chair of NCSG is currently trying to mobilize a number of NCSG leaders that have spoken on certain issues at the meeting. And a written report is to be expected, although I see that it's only in very early stage.

So, maybe we will leave it at that and unless there are any questions from Kiren or Danilo?

Danilo Piaggese: No, thanks.

Kiren Malancharuvil: No questions from me. I did a lot of participation remotely.

Alain Berranger: Oh good. And you're sense remotely, what was your sense of the meeting?

Kiren Malancharuvil: Well, to be honest, mostly I followed the IPC and the CSG things. I thought it was really helpful. There seemed to be a good amount of progress. I like the idea of an inter sectional meeting. There are a lot of lingering questions from the commercial side of things about kind of statements that have been made that are not consistent with one another and especially with regard to the chamber clearinghouse (inaudible). But overall, I think a very interesting and productive meeting for most people.

Alain Berranger: Super. Thank you very much, Kiren. Cintra, can I bring you to the agenda item on the appointments to the policy committee? And also ask you to add as a sub agenda that we make sure we talk about the treasurer position. So first the policy committee and then the treasurer position. Cintra, back over to you.

Cintra Sooknanan: Thank you. I sent out early yesterday (inaudible) the call for a nomination for the NPOC representative to the NCSG policy committee. We've had two responses so far. One from Poncelet and one from Rudi. Neither of them are on this call right now are they?

Alain Berranger: I don't know. Rudi, have you signed in? No, he hasn't signed in yet.

Cintra Sooknanan: No. So I propose that maybe we wait until the end of the week, just a few days to see if any further nominations come in. And then we can (inaudible) them to be (inaudible). (Inaudible).

Alain Berranger: You know what I think (inaudible)? You know what, Cintra, I'm not sure -- we are still a very small community and I don't think anybody has missed an opportunity nor a window of opportunity to express interest. And I would propose to this group, but I would prefer we have consensus, that we consider appointing Poncelet and Rudi for the rest of the period until --

Rudi Vansnick: Rudi Vansnick.

Operator: Joined.

Alain Berranger: Hi, Poncelet, this is Alain. We are on item 4, appointment to policy committee. You were just calling in when your name is being mentioned.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Now may I speak?

Alain Berranger: Yes, please I just wanted to freshen up for Poncelet that Poncelet, there's only been two expressions of interest and one has been from Rudi and the other one, Rudi Vansnick from IPOC Belgium. And Poncelet from the Gambia. So, you're coming in at the right time. And Marie-laure, please.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Rudi's coming in too.

Alain Berranger: Okay.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: He's on Adobe. I don't know whether he's calling. He should be calling right now.

Rudi Vansnick: Yes, sorry. I'm on the call now. (Inaudible)

Alain Berranger: Okay, welcome, Rudi. So, since we have both Poncelet and Rudi, could you guys confirm that you're still interested in working on the policy committee until the next elections?

Rudi Vansnick: Yes, I sent in my candidacy. There was no other person coming in, so I'm willing to stand up for the position of policy representative.

Alain Berranger: Yes, you would be appointed by NPOC to the policy committee. Fair enough. Poncelet, are you still interested in being appointed? Poncelet, are you on? All right. I hear some scratches, but I don't hear Poncelet.

Alain Berranger: All right. Cintra, are you okay if we don't -- since we have no competition right now, are you okay if we appoint? Or was I under the impression that you were interested too and did you not express your interest?

Cintra Sooknanan: At this point I think there's enough for everyone to go around. So (inaudible). I'm sure we can find (inaudible) and (inaudible) representative (inaudible) other kinds participate (inaudible) as well. So I'm very uncomfortable with using this (inaudible) right now simply because of the time because I know I just sent this out this morning. So I would have asked (inaudible) to be at least 24 hours for some more nominations to come in if I saw just to build (inaudible).

Alain Berranger: Okay. Well, so again your line is not that great or maybe it's mine. My speaker that's not great. But to my question if you were interested was the answer yes or no?

Cintra Sooknanan: It would depend on the number of nominees. Because I would prefer (inaudible).

Alain Berranger: You would prefer what?

Cintra Sooknanan: The (inaudible) nominees.

- Alain Berranger: Right.
- Cintra Sooknanan: At this point, yes, but it would depend on the number of nominees. So therefore if Poncelet as well as Rudi are both vying for this position, then I do think that there's a lot of work otherwise to go around. And I would therefore (inaudible) to them.
- Alain Berranger: So you're invoking the argument that there's more work to be done than there's people to do it right now.
- Cintra Sooknanan: I'm invoking the argument there's a lot (inaudible). I mean right now we are so (inaudible) and (inaudible) representative on the (inaudible) committee, right, to be generous. So (inaudible) to be (inaudible). We have the treasurer position and that's the new one. So --
- Alain Berranger: Yes, and I think the position of vice chair is still -- is very demanding on your time and could even be more. All right. So my proposal, thank you very much, Cintra, my proposal is to -- that we nominate Rudi and Poncelet as NPOC appointments to the policy committee of NCSG and that is until the upcoming elections. Do I hear any objections to this proposal? Okay. I have heard no objections, so I think this is approved consensus and I think you very much for that. And congratulations to Poncelet and Rudi for taking on this extra piece of work.
- Can we move to item 5, dissemination and fund raising update on the (inaudible) and NPOC outreach plan? We've been following a strategy, which is very targeted, and as to my share of the work on that, I have approached -- delicately I have approached (inaudible). (Inaudible) is a very large registry in France that -- sorry, they're the biggest registrar in France. And I have approached the (inaudible). I have not received nos, but I have not received yes yet. And I know some of you are doing some fund raising efforts and can you please share with the group where you're at?
- Marie-laure Lemineaur: Marie-laure speaking. Do you want me to do it now or wait for item 5?
- Alain Berranger: We are on item 5.
- Marie-laure Lemineaur: Oh sorry. The item 6 then. Well, okay. I'll do it now. Is it okay?
- Alain Berranger: Yes, please.
- Marie-laure Lemineaur: My share was public interest registry dot org. So I (inaudible) with the CEO of PIR dot org, very kindly took my call a few weeks ago. And he was very much interested and asked me to send him the right outreach plan. And he would think about it together with his team and the marketing person and other staff members. And I'm waiting basically for some feedback now that he has documents.
- But globally speaking, he was very much interested. And PIR is currently sponsoring -- I mean trying to identify activities to sponsor them, so we are in the -- we were right at the right moment.
- Alain Berranger: All right, thank you very much, Marie-laure. Klaus is doing a few targeted calls, but we'll get him to report in written. I wanted to -- Poncelet? Do you have any progress to report?
- Unidentified Participant: I don't think Poncelet's online.
- Alain Berranger: I think we've lost Poncelet. I thought he came in at one point.
- Marie-laure Lemineaur: No, I don't think he ever came in.

Unidentified Participant: I don't see her in the participant list.

Alain Berranger: Okay.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Sorry, (inaudible) Poncelet is not on the call, however Rudi has just joined the Adobe Connect room, so he may be joining the bridge shortly. Thank you.

Danilo Piaggese: Alain, can I ask you a quick question about the funding?

Alain Berranger: Please.

Danilo Piaggese: (Inaudible) Can I ask you just to be aligned, because as you know this is my second time I'm participating to this interesting working group. How is the modus operandi? I mean do you have any -- the same question that I asked during the last call about the quantity and the way that you approach prospective, let's say, contributors? And when I asked this question last time, Klaus said that we shouldn't go that way, meaning that we shouldn't go asking for money unless we have a very clear strategy of what we are asking for. So can you please elaborate more the way that I might be contributing to this particular part of this working group?

Alain Berranger: This is just to thank you very much, Danilo. Just to get the vocabulary right, this is not a working group it's a open NPOC constituency.

Danilo Piaggese: Right. Sorry, I apologize for the (inaudible).

Alain Berranger: Don't apologize. (Inaudible) we've been working together too long for you to ever apologize. The (inaudible) was 85 -- is still \$85,000, of which \$5,000 is already funded. This is not a great result yet and we have -- I was myself, and if Klaus was on the line I would say the same thing. I was a little bit puzzled by Klaus' remark in the sense that the outreach plan, he was a co-author of the outreach plan. So I think he meant something else. Sometimes his English comes out in German. So I know he's very much --

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Alain, remember this is a recorded conversation.

Alain Berranger: Yes, I know. But Klaus will forgive me. He is himself right now following this targeted approach. And we only -- we have a very clearly identified number of activity lines, which require funding in between \$5,000 and \$20,000, minimum \$5,000, maximum \$20,000. And we are -- you've got to remember that we will not be able of course to deliver on that outreach program if we don't get the funding.

But it's a learning curve, we are very new in the ICANN game. There is also the issue of external -- by external I mean outside of ICANN -- take over this funding versus ICANN's take over or (inaudible) invested take over. And we had a first executive committee face-to-face meeting in L.A. We are still unknown quantities to the rest of the ICANN community. In relation they are very, very familiar with each other's group. And we're kind of the new kid on the block playing in the sandbox. And it's not that easy for them to -- although the NPOC outreach plan reads well, it's very well planned, this was a team work for most of the people that are on this call. I think it's a great plan. But then I'm biased because I co-authored it too.

So finally I would add that I don't know if Olivier came in, but (inaudible) is at a process of funding -- of considering funding at the level of \$2,000 the travel and participation of Olivier in the -- at least at the (inaudible) meeting.

So this would be a very good start to (inaudible). (Inaudible) may decide to come in stronger in certain funding elements after they have observed us operating in (inaudible). Of course, Olivier did not (inaudible) to do his face-to-face work in L.A. He was refused a visa by the US.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Alain, may I -- Olivier's on the Adobe, but he's having trouble with the audio. So I think he'll be back in a few seconds or minutes.

Alain Berranger: Yes, I'm not surprised. Communications in (inaudible) aren't the greatest. Can we go to item 6? If we can -- well, perhaps maybe I ask we close this discussion? But Danilo, are you satisfied that you've got (inaudible)?

Danilo Piaggese: Absolutely, absolutely. Thank you. I got a better view. Thank you.

Alain Berranger: I did not answer. If you feel after reading the outreach plan that you represent some element to it to some donors that you have access to or partners you have access to, please feel free to do that and we can discuss that. If it is the case, then we can do a bilateral conversation on that.

Danilo Piaggese: Great.

Alain Berranger: Thank you very much. Marie-laure, item 6?

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Yes. Marie-laure speaking. Basically progress reports about what we're doing for Beijing. The first issue to mention is that we have to know and be aware that so far ICANN has not decided whether we will -- all constituencies not only us -- we will have slots or signs in addition to constituency day. We have to know that because at the moment we only have -- officially, we only have the one session that can be organized on constituency, which is Tuesday the 9th. So this is the day we are going to have the internal session.

So I already sent a description to Glenn and I also sent to the GNSO sec the description of the other two sessions we would like to organize the day after as we agreed when we met in LA. And those two sessions are, the first one would be in the morning. It's about the impact of new gTLDs on NGOs. And I requested the 9:00 to 11:30 slot. And it would be (inaudible). The second session, that would be in the afternoon (inaudible), made up of sort of provisional (inaudible) and I would like to hear your opinions on it. We discussed that it would be an activity, a seminar workshop about the role of youth in the DNS. This is the provisional (inaudible) I wrote on the description the role of using the DNS. And I requested a 90-minute slot Wednesday afternoon and that will be basically.

I have also contacted some of the speakers we spoke about we thought that would be good speakers to invite. Brian Cute has already accepted. And two of them have not answered yet, I'm still waiting for the answers and I'm still in the process of contacting the rest of speakers. I don't know whether you have any additional questions or if it's all clear.

Alain Berranger: Any questions for Marie-laure? This is Alain Berranger. No? Okay, Alain Berranger again. May I make a suggestion, Marie-laure?

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Of course.

Alain Berranger: Is that perhaps you could circulate the three draft descriptions on NPOC (inaudible) and -

Marie-laure Lemineaur: I will do so.

Alain Berranger: Okay, thank you very much. Item 7 we'll skip because Poncelet is not online, unless Poncelet can hear me now. Okay. So we will ask Poncelet to do a written report.

Item 9 and 10, council's supposed to report on it. I'm actually in Geneva, partly for item 9 on GKPS funding, by the way. So thank you GKPS from NPOC. NPOC will not have a session per se in with 2013, but will be a co-orchestrator of two, possibly three sessions.

One session will be on mobile development, i.e. the explosion of mobile use in developing economies is creating different and new and potentially very powerful use of the technology for development and social inclusion.

So, it is wanted and mandated that NPOC will participate in that one. There's another session on e-readynet and I will save remarks for the slide. And tomorrow I'm meeting with the folks at ICU to see if they will accept to do a (inaudible) online protection prevention and victim rehabilitation. So keep your eyes posted on NPOC's voice for any developments.

Are there any questions on this? Okay, I must have given a good report. Although it's quite late here and I think we will leave the (inaudible) alliance to a future meeting. And we still have 13 minutes I think. So we're doing quite well with our agenda. Cintra, I've just realized that you will tell us a little bit about Adobe Connect training options. We forgot at item 4 to discuss the appointment of the treasurer.

Cintra Sooknanan: We did.

Alain Berranger: Yes. Well, let's do it now. My recollection, again for the record this is Alain speaking. There's been only one volunteer in the person of Rudi. Cintra, can you confirm that there was only one nomination?

Cintra Sooknanan: That is correct, there was only one nomination and that was of Rudi.

Alain Berranger: All right. Rudi, you're online. Are you still confirming your interest?

Rudi Vansnick: Yes, I'm still present. The line is not perfect, but it's okay. Yes, I'm still maintaining my candidacy in order to help NPOC going a step further than for the future.

Alain Berranger: Okay, this is great. By the way, for those of you, Rudi knows this, and some of you know this, but at the last email exchange the NCSG executive committee approved a very large number -- relatively large number of new members, including ISOC Belgium. So, this puts us in a very good legitimate position to have Rudi do this double assignment being the NPOC appointment to the policy committee of NCSG and also be the treasurer.

I have a proposal though on the treasurer, if it's okay with you. So let me say this in one - - well, in two consultations. I propose that we nominate Rudi Vansnick as treasurer for NPOC on the basis that he's kind of very kind to us to do this extra function and on the basis that there's been no other nomination. Do I hear any objections to this recommendation? Okay, that's a resounding consensus. It's amazing when silence becomes consensus. I wonder if debaters use that?

Kiren Malancharuvil: It's the highest form of consensus at ICANN.

Alain Berranger: Thanks for that, Kiren. So this is Alain speaking. We confirm the NPOC -- the NPOC community confirms the appointment of Rudi Vansnick as treasurer of NPOC. And therefore he, in the same process joins the NPOC executive committee. So I will ask Cintra to do the necessary administrative communications on this.

I have a second element to this, if Rudi was okay. I think we need stability in that position. We've had stability with Eduardo and I would prefer that this mandate, and I think we are allowed to do that, unless Cintra tells me our charter stops us from doing that. I would prefer to appoint -- that Rudi be appointed for the -- until the end of the 2013-2014 fiscal year of ICANN. Are you willing to accept that element of the appointment, Rudi?

Rudi Vansnick: There is no issue for me so far, so I'm really happy to join and help the NPOC going a step further, because I think it's quite important that the NPOC will be recognized inside the ICANN structure as an important player in the multi-stakeholder mechanism.

Alain Berranger: Thank you very much, Rudi. Any other comments?

Cintra Sooknanan: Yes, this is Cintra. We ought to call for elections soon and the treasurer position I believe is one of those positions. So because of the formalities and timelines and that kind of thing, I do believe that this appointment will just be interim until that point.

Alain Berranger: It has to be interim, yes. It has to be interim. All right. So, let the rules be the rules and we will follow them. We will be good boys and girls and we will follow them.

Rudi, I would strongly encourage you to not accept this assignment if you will not self-nominate again in 2013 elections. Is that a fair request to make?

Rudi Vansnick: That's a fair request, yes.

Alain Berranger: Super. Back to the item 11, Cintra, on Adobe Connect training.

Cintra Sooknanan: Okay, perfect. Most of you are in Adobe Connect right now and you would see a lot of the functionality of it. It's pretty straightforward. To use the facilities in order to actually or to obtain audio from Adobe Connect, therefore there wouldn't be the issue of connecting via phone and that kind of thing. (Inaudible) look into this in the chat. There's also a functionality to raise hand. I'm demonstrating that now. Lower hand. Once your hand is raised, a queuing order is formed. There's also -- if you could just go through you can click as well on that hand raise and you can see a range of emoticons that you can actually have.

For the host representer there are additional capabilities to share a screen, to show everyone the presentation. What I actually want to know from the group is if you do see the need to attach we have a meeting then (inaudible) training on Adobe Connect. Or if you don't see the need for that.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: This is Marie-laure speaking. I'm sorry.

Alain Berranger: Please go ahead, Marie.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Cintra, are you asking whether, I'm not sure in the studio. Are you asking whether there is a need for us each month for the NPOC meetings to have Adobe? Is this what you're asking?

Cintra Sooknanan: What I'm asking is if (inaudible) right now see the requirement or the necessity of actually having training on Adobe Connect?

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Okay. I already took (inaudible).

Cintra Sooknanan: (Inaudible)

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Personally I have already received the training from ICANN staff last year.

Cintra Sooknanan: Okay. So, all right.

Alain Berranger: Marie, does it take -- how long does the training take?

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Like 10 minutes. No, seriously. Like 15 minutes. I mean it's very well done and very easy. And they're very good teachers, so it's -- I mean it's not -- I mean maximum half an hour.

Alain Berranger: Okay.

Rudi Vansnick: It's Rudi here, if I may. I'm used to work with Adobe Connect for several years now. I think that the only complex thing is when you're leading and hosting the meeting you have a lot of extra functionalities like sharing your documents, sharing your desktop and so on, which is really quite nice to be able to follow discussions on certain topics and facts that are debated on. For the rest, when you're just participating, when you have the audio also working, well, it's really a nice place to have meetings organized. So, for what's my concern is in the NPOC I would really appreciate if in the future we could have the NPOC meetings organized through the Adobe Connect with the audio connected. That would really be marvelous.

Alain Berranger: Okay, thank you very much, Rudi. Anybody else?

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Alain, this is Marie-laure.

Alain Berranger: Yes, Marie-laure. Please go ahead.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: I don't know why if there is a reason, but since last year all the meetings I had and Adobe was used at least personally I never saw that the sound was on. I don't know if Gisella has an explanation for it or is this just an -- I mean it's coincidence? But --

Gisella Gruber: Marie-laure, Gisella here. What I suggest doing is I'm in the process of setting up the audio on the NPOC Adobe Connect room. And we can try it for the next call. It will enable people to not only hear through the Adobe Connect room, but also to speak through their computers. And we will see how it works. People just do have to remember that if they are at their computer and only using the Adobe Connect, that if they are typing away and they don't put their microphone on mute, for instance, that that will be interfering in the call. But I think that you're not a very large group and I think it should work quite well.

And we will also send out a PowerPoint presentation just to instruct people on how to connect their microphones.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Wonderful. Thank you.

Gisella Gruber: You're welcome.

Alain Berranger: Thank you very much, Gisella. All right. Well, thank you also, Cintra. And Cintra, I think you still have the floor with item 12 on the elections. Are there any updates or reminders that you want to make?

Cintra Sooknanan: Just in terms of (inaudible). We are (inaudible) a timeline since last year. I believe the previous executive committee elections clearly (inaudible) of March 2012. With the current timeframe, if we do send out the call of -- for elections this Friday we would probably come in at around -- election results being sent to the list around the early May.

Alain Berranger: Which date?

Cintra Sooknanan: Around the 10th of May.

Alain Berranger: The 10th of May, okay. Sounds good to me, but any questions or comments from our group now?

Cintra Sooknanan: I actually have a question and that is with regard to if a request for nomination form is actually -- was actually ever used by NPOC? Or if you have something that we will need to create.

- Alain Berranger: No, what happened is that the process was totally dealt with by GNSO secretariat. And we did -- I don't remember using forms, but we just used the mailing list. Have nomination or nominations on the mailing list. I don't know if we need more because we are -- as was just mentioned, we are quite a small group for now.
- Rudi Vansnick: If I may comment? Rudi here.
- Alain Berranger: Yes, please Rudi.
- Rudi Vansnick: Well, I'm just wondering, what is the timeline of the elections? Because when I'm looking at the website of the NPOC, I don't see any information on elections. I think it's quite important that we have a public environment where there is information that can be found on the elections and the ongoing elections. Also the timeline's quite important. I'm actually the chair of the election committee of the ISOC board of trustees. It's a quite complex context and I think it is important that if we want to have a fair recognition by the ICANN community that we publish the timeline and the election process in order to fulfill the rules of the ICANN bylaws.
- Alain Berranger: Yes, excellent point (inaudible). Cintra, you want to respond?
- Cintra Sooknanan: Yes, I'd like to respond to that. Rudi, I agree with you completely. The actual -- I had to go through the charter in order to find the timeline and the requisite number of days before (inaudible) then which committees were to make the call for elections and that kind of thing. I tried putting this in Adobe Connect, but it's not -- all of it hasn't been posted correctly. What I will do is I'd like to send this out to the mailing list just so that we are all reminded of the timeline, the specific timeframe and that kind of thing, as well as my proposal for the timeline given the call being sent out on Friday. Which would probably help explain why the results would come out on the 10th of May.
- So, I think instead of spending time on this call to discuss this, then perhaps this will be better suited. So to the mailing list.
- Rudi Vansnick: Okay, perfect.
- Alain Berranger: Okay, perfect. Thank you very much, Cintra. We have two minutes on the time. I just wanted to give everybody a chance to submit any other business on item 13. Okay. I take that as no new subject. Let me take 30 seconds on one non-agenda item. It's the publishing of the NPOC annual report for 2012, item 8. Just quickly, the draft is now available and there is a small committee of the authors -- the co-authors that are going to edit it. And we should be publishing it electronically over the next -- I'm pretty sure before our next call. And also we'll print a few desktop printing copies for distribution to partners and potential sponsors. So that's a piece for information. And so watch for that.
- Then if there is not any other business, I will call this meeting to an end. Thank you very much for all of you that are taking this call and at various times of the day. And I really appreciate your participation. And until next --
- Marie-laure Lemineaur: Thank you.
- Alain Berranger: Yes, we will go back to -- unless there's change on the frequency and timing, we will tentatively write in the next meeting for the 2nd Tuesday in March.
- Cintra Sooknanan: Thanks, Alain.
- Rudi Vansnick: Thank you.
- Kiren Malancharuvil: Bye-bye.

Marie-laure Lemineaur: Bye, everybody.

Rudi Vansnick: Goodnight everybody.

Alain Berranger: Goodnight.