ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[op-budget-fy13]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Comments on ICANN Draft FY13 Operating Plan and Budget

• To: op-budget-fy13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on ICANN Draft FY13 Operating Plan and Budget
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:53:51 -0400

My comments here are made in my capacity as a member of the ICANN community and reflect
_solely my individual views_.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the draft operating plan and budget.

One of the key components of the upcoming budget year will be the treatment of funds received from applicants for new TLD's. (I speak here not the the New TLD evaluation process ..)

I AM SPEAKING ONLY TO THE MONEY COLLECTED FROM THE APPLICANTS
ICANN has received approximately_*1/3 of a billion..repeat.. 1/3 of a billion $$$*_.. To fund an evaluation and processing of less than 2000 applications.

At the time that this process was started the community was informed that the processing the applications would be completed on a "cost recovery basis".

Given the fact that a significant number of applications will be utilizing a relatively small number of technical back end providers and given the fact that many of the applicants are major corporations ( many publicly held), it would appear to me that the cost to process and evaluate these applications will be far less than the total amount of the funds that had been collected from the applicants.

The current ICANN CEO stated at the recent London Reveal that any surpluses would be used as "the community sees best".

There is no logical way that ICANN can justify putting a surplus into some sort of a "rainy day reserve fund", nor do I recall over this multi-year process any specific instructions or resolutions from the community that ICANN could act
in the manner indicated by the CEO in his comments today.

1.First of all, the applicants (as well as the community) have every right to insist on a complete and concise accounting of the funds tendered..

2. Secondly.. a reasonable assessment should be made by appropriate independent experts as to the potential exposure ICANN may have as a result of this process moving forward. This would help in provision for a properly computed amount

My personal feeling is that a significant amount of money ( well in excess of $100 million after allowing for cost recovery & appropriate reserves)
SHOULD BE REFUNDED TO THE APPLICANTS !

The funds that I've been referring to in my comments above relate only to the application fees tendered to ICANN. The community still has the need for significant input as to its desires on how ICANN should use the proceeds from the auction was of contested TLD strings.

Ken Stubbs

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy