ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[op-budget-fy2012]

Re: FY12 SO-AC-SG Requests document

  • To: op-budget-fy2012@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: FY12 SO-AC-SG Requests document
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:12:24 -0700 (PDT)

In the aggregate, the ALAC together with its subsidiary RALOs, has requested
$514,350 above and beyond their base level of services and support.  That's
quite a bit of additional funding... and as a grand total it's even more than
what was initially requested for the earlier At-Large Summit.

I think we need to take a hard look at whether all of these requested
expenditures are truly warranted and/or necessary.

It's fair to ask, "What kind of ROI are we really getting back?"

We were told that the earlier At-Large Summit was a milestone outreach event
that would engender enhanced participation and engagement.  Yet anyone
reviewing the At-Large mailing lists subsequent to the Summit would have
readily concluded that there was no increase in participation whatsoever.

It appears to me that some seem to think that we can treat ICANN as a cash cow
that can be milked at every opportunity; I, for one, cannot support the degree
of largesse being requested.

Under the broad banner of "outreach", folks in the At-Large ambit seek to
attend a number of conferences, IGF sessions and community events all on
ICANN's dime.  Meanwhile, the GNSO has similarly called for a Global Outreach
Program (whose costs aren't even articulated in the FY12 SO-AC-SG Requests
document).

So, before we start to expend a massive amount of funds on outreach activities,
perhaps some thought could be given to our in-reach responsibilities.  There
are presently 130 certified At-Large Structures and I would venture that close
to 75% of them almost never participate.

I share the concern expressed by many others that costs are spiraling out of
control, and unfortunately I'm not seeing any effort on the part of the ALAC to
reign in unwarranted expenditures.

The FY11 adopted budget for the ALAC was $4,440,000 (far more than that of
either the GAC or the SSAC).  Assuming the FY12 budget is at least akin to last
year's figures, adding yet another half million in expenditures brings the
ALAC's budget into the $5,000,000 neighborhood.

This would lead anyone to ask, "Are you satisfied with what you're getting from
the ALAC in view of this enormous expenditure?"  I'm  not.  Their policy advice
is weak at best, and that's being kind.  Frankly, I view this as situation as a
stellar example of money flowing down a rathole.

I believe that it would be appropriate to fund the ALAC and its member
organizations at exactly the same rate as ICANN funds the 86 civil society
organizations that comprise the NCUC -- currently somewhere in the general
vicinity of zero dollars.

I'll leave it to you to explain why one set of civil society organizations
(ALAC/RALOs) are funded to a five-million dollar level while another similar
set of civil society organizations (NCSG/NCUC) remains almost total unfunded by
comparison. Perhaps this is the ICANN fairness doctrine at work...