ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Draft Preliminary Report and Agenda

  • To: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Draft Preliminary Report and Agenda
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 08:20:05 -0400

> Just so we don't misunderstand each other -- the 6 June call has been
> scheduled for many weeks now.  It was originally 9 June.  The report
> (not withstanding the little glitch overnight) has been distributed with
> the seven days advance notice required under the bylaws.

No misunderstanding at all. I only received the meeting materials this morning. Regardless of when the meeting was originally schedule, this gives me four days to review the documentation and prepare for the meeting. Given my other obligations, I will not be able to review the full set of documents in time for the call. The short notice prevents me from setting side adequate time to give these materials the attention they deserve. Accordingly, I have made a request of our chair to consider some additional time so that I, and presumably others, can full absorb these documents and participate in a more informed manner.

> I would find it difficult to put off the call for a week -- you'll
> notice that the 15 June meeting to discuss the new TLDs report is coming
> up very quickly and we have an 8 June call scheduled for normal GNSO
> business.  The PDP Dec 05 report will be released on 8 June to give the
> required seven days notice prior to 15 June.

I am not fully aware of the competing considerations that Maureen has to manage in order to meet the objectives set forth for her, but if she can't fulfill this request, I fully understand. I'm not sure that I have a full appreciation for the challenges you've described if we delay the call. The dependencies you've alluded to aren't quite clear to me, but I'm sure that they will be important for Maureen to take into consideration.

 > Anything I can do to help, let me know.

I'm not sure about the extent to which you can influence the PDP or the deadlines, but I think the GNSO needs to be more realistic about the work it requires of its volunteers and must begin to understand that some of the arbitrary determinations of its processes are quite unrealistic. The seven days described in the PDP will in a best case scenario gives task force volunteers 5 business days of preparation time. With the volume of information contained in these reports, its simply not a reasonable request.

Regards,

--

                       -rr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info:

Ross Rader
Director, Research & Innovation
Tucows Inc.