ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August

  • To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cubberley, Maureen (CHT)" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>, pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August
  • From: Alistair DIXON <Alistair.Dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:19:28 +1200

I would like to add my voice in support of Marilyn's comments in her email
below.  The current situation of staff renogiating registry contracts,
apparently independently of the PDP06 work is entirely unsatisfactory. These
negotiations are in effect policy making on the fly and risk setting precedents
for the PDP06 work without any apparent regard to good policy making
principles.  I therefore agree with Marilyn that the best course would be for
these negotiations to be put on hold until the PDP06 work is complete.  This is
a reasonable course of action to take as none of these agreements are due to
expire this year.  With concentrated effort, appropriate resources and
assistance and good will there is no reason why this work cannot be completed
in time to allow for adequate time for the conclusion of these negotiations
before the agreements expire.

As Marilyn says, these negotiations mean that the PDP06 work becomes a high
priority.  I think the task force needs the assistance of independent experts
and appropriate consulting resources to work through some of the tricky policy
issues confronting us.  Such additional resources are critical for ensuring
that the work can be completed quickly.

Regarding independent experts, some task force members have argued that they
would be able to provide the apropriate expertise.  While I would add myself to
this list in the areas of anti-trust and resource allocation since these
matters are my day job, I along with everybody else on the task force will be
representing my constituency in this work.  As a result, while I may respresent
my views as the objective opinion of an expert in a particular field, I would
not expect other constituencies to agree that my views are objective because I
represent a particular constituency.  I don't believe the situation is any
different for other task force members.  An independent expert or experts that
do not have a particular barrow to push will be of great assistance in helping
us resolve the difficult policy issues confronting this task force in a timely
way.  Identifying appropriate independent experts should be a priority.

Finally, I am not able to join the call tonight because it starts at 2am my
time and I do have a day job.  I know that I live in a difficult time zone
compared with most of the planet's population but I would appreciate more
consideration when setting meeting times in future.  I already have to deal
with council calls running from midnight to 2am so I do not think it
unreasonable to ask that neither council nor taskforce calls are scheduled
between the hours of 2 and 5am for any council or task force member. I accept
that this is not possible for face-to-face meetings.

Best regards
Alistair

Alistair Dixon
Industry and Regulatory Affairs

Ph +64 4 920 3098 (Wellington)         Telstra Clear Ltd
Ph +64 29 912 4301 (mobile)                 PO Box 1271
Ph +64 9 912 4301 (Auckland)             Centreport
Fax +64 4 920 3588                                        Wellington

alistair.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx