ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

[pdp-pcceg-feb06] working document for Tuesday's call

  • To: "'Marilyn Cade'" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <pdpfeb06-wg1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] working document for Tuesday's call
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:04:20 -0400

Dear colleagues,

The document for our last working call on Tuesday is attached. It has
several options under each of the ToR elements. I would like to get to fewer
options in a first pass, so in the first hour, we will discuss the options
and then take straw polls. The options are Fully support, support with
reservations and no support. Reservations can be expressed as comments that
you submit. Since not everyone can be on the call, we will take written
comments on the document, but they should be provided against the
recommendations made. If you want to propose a substitute recommendation,
please do so to the full list of the Rapporteur Group A.

Finally, I have reviewed most of the expert materials and some thoughts
follow:  according to the materials organized by staff:

1)       most agreements in adjacent markets do have limits in terms of
years.

2)       Some rebids allow for a preferential rating for a job well done -
e.g. government procurements

3)       Dominant players are often treated differently than new entrants.
The determination of dominance is made by competition authorities, however,
there may be guidance from consultation with competition experts and
economists.

4)       Pricing guidelines are often part of the steps taken to ensure that
competition can develop when dominance exists in a marketplace.

5)       Sole source providers of elements that are needed by other parties
to offer competitive services are often subject to requirements to share
such data or information on a non proprietary basis.

Other relevant thoughts:

There are existing 'covenants'/or agreements in ICANN that need to be
respected in these policies, such as the requirement that the registry not
act as a registrar; nor to promote the registration of any particular names.
I think that extends to the use of traffic data to determine the value of a
particular domain name.

The Table from  Annex 3 shows that sponsored gTLDs are generally treated
differently than non sponsored.

The use of the term "no provision' in reference to Traffic Data does not
mean that uses of traffic data are 'permitted", e.g. see the request for
approval to use traffic data in each of the new agreements.

Your comments and edits are welcomed and will be included for discussion in
Tuesday's call from 11- 1:00 p.m.

Best Regards,

Marilyn Cade

As Rapporteur