ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: draft agenda, RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] REMINDER: PDPFeb06 Task force meeting Thursday 9 November at 19:00 UTC

  • To: "Cubberley, Maureen ((CHT))" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: draft agenda, RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] REMINDER: PDPFeb06 Task force meeting Thursday 9 November at 19:00 UTC
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:33:20 +0100

Maureen

Thanks so much to you and to Avri for pulling the short document together.

I look forward to speaking to everyone tonight.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

On 09 Nov 2006, at 06:49, Cubberley, Maureen ((CHT)) wrote:

Thank you Glen for the reminder.

Thanks to Liz for writing the Draft Task Force Report, which is posted at http://gnso.icann.org/drafts/

In this email, I am attaching a short document that Avri and I developed and which we hope will be useful as a support piece during tomorrow's teleconference.

**It is a short working document and has no official status.**

It lists (in numerical order) the proposed recommendations excerpted from the two rapporteur groups' reports. It also contains some notes and a chart - all of which are intended to serve as organizational guides to the information provided by the rapporteur groups.

These notes and the chart are the interpretation of the writers and are not intended to add to, subtract from, or in any way change the content of the work of the Rapporteur Groups. Rather, they are an attempt to add a bit of clarity to some sections of the reports; to help us determine, as a Task Force, where areas of support and consensus could exist, and possibly to contribute to the next iteration of the Task Force Report.

For tomorrow, I propose that we pick up where we left off at the end of the last teleconference, but that we alter our approach. One of the things we should decide is what we mean by 'support'.

The following draft agenda is intended to get us to the point where we will be able to determine levels of support amongst the task force members for the recommendations presented by the two groups of rapporteurs.

Draft Agenda.

1. Roll call
2. Approval of agenda, and any additions under Other Business
3. Defining levels of support
Starting Point - Proposal for Discussion purposes only:
Strong Support = a minimum of four constituencies, with some noncom support
Medium Support = a minimum of three constituencies, with some noncom support
Minimal Support = a minimum of two constituencies, with some noncom support
Single Constituency Support = the support of one constituency
No Support = no support from any constituencies or noncom members
4. Walk-through of each Rapporteur Group Report
5. Roundtable - each task force member indicating support/lack of support for each of the proposed policy recommendations.*
6. Synopsis
7. Other Business
8. Next meeting - date
9. Adjournment

*Note: I am in full agreement with the view that was expressed during the last teleconference that it is important to discuss these recommendations fully and understand their implications. I also believe that it is important that we not allow the process to compromise the product.

We do have to progress in our discussions, so that the draft report can move closer to becoming a final report. For this reason, I respectfully request that we all attempt to frame our comments and questions during agenda item 5 in a way that is constructive and/or instructive. The purpose of our discussions tomorrow should be to achieve clarity about the recommendations; To get us to the point where everyone is able to determine the extent to which they support them. Of course this does not preclude further discussion.........we have much more to discuss.

Best regards,

Maureen