ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

[pdp-pcceg-feb06] Fwd: Today's AGENDA RE: PD Feb 06 - considerations for going forward

  • To: pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Fwd: Today's AGENDA RE: PD Feb 06 - considerations for going forward
  • From: Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 20:09:13 +0100

this is being re-sent on Maureen's behalf.

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels
+32 2 234 7874 tel
+32 2 234 7848 fax
+32 497 07 4243 mob

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Cubberley, Maureen \(CHT\)" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri 17 Nov 2006 17:41:08 GMT+01:00
To: "Cubberley, Maureen \(CHT\)" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdpfeb06- wg1@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdpfeb06-wg2@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Maureen Cubberley" <m.cubberley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Members of the PDP Feb 06 Task Force,

For today’s call, I propose that we address the questions that I asked in this memo, which was originally said yesterday morning, and those questions that are inherent in it.

We are at a crossroads because we have the Draft Report that indicates no supermajority on any of the draft policy recommendations put forward, and a PDP timeline established in the bylaws that requires that the report be made public. I have expressed this personal view in the past and will do so again; our deliberations seemed to be driven by flawed bylaws in that, once again, process appears to be taking precedent over substance.

The questions from the end of my memo, (which follows in its entirety), are excerpted here;

A. Do you believe we can make progress if we continue the detailed discussions that we are now engaged in?

B. Do you believe we should go back to the beginning and develop new Terms of Reference?

C. I don't have a question C, but I'm sure someone will. (Always a good idea to leave room for alternate suggestions)

In addition to those questions, I pose the following ones,

1. We have a Draft Task Force Report. According to the bylaws it is required to go forward. If it goes forward as it is it will do so indicating that we have not reached supermajority on any of the elements. Our option then would be to seek Council’s advice as to the next steps, and to provide recommendations as to what those next steps might be. One of the options could be developing new terms of reference, as I noted in question B. above.

So the question is, should we send the Draft Task Force Report forward now?

2. The Board will meet on November 22, and may approve the three contracts that are currently under negotiation. If they do, what will be the impact on the work of this Task Force?

3. If we do choose to carry on with the discussions that we are now engaged in, with the objective of determining the level of support for the draft recommendations put forward by the two rapporteur groups, what is the best way to utilize staff resources to support this process?

I look forward to speaking with you in a couple of hours.

Best regards,

Maureen