ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Re: Feb PDP06 and renewal expectancy

  • To: PDPfeb06 <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Re: Feb PDP06 and renewal expectancy
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:25:39 -0200

hi,

On 6 dec 2006, at 18.03, Milton Mueller wrote:

I didn't think there was a difference. There are shades of semantic
meaning -- "expectancy" seems a bit weaker than "presumption" -- but the
overall policy is the same and the terms have been used interchangably.

this being the case, it seems that we may only really have two choices under discussion at the moment. But Jon laid out 3 options and even though I am not sure who suggested Option 2, it seems to now be part of the proposal set.

Option 1 was a mandatory rebid with an advantage to the incumbent;
Details are an implementation issue, though we may include guidance if
this proposal gets support

Option 2 was a discretionary rebid with an advantage to the incumbent;
The discretion is ICANN's. My assumption is that the council might want to give
guidance on this if this proposal has support.

Option 3 was no rebid unless there are repeated material breaches.
this is the Renewal Expectancy/Presumption of Renewal Option as essentially expressed
in the current .com etc contracts.

Since there was a misunderstanding, at least on my part, of what we were asking the constituencies to express support on, I request that each of the constituencies restate their preference based on the list above. Hopefully the discussions you have already had, or are having, with your constituencies will make it possible to express this preference before the 20 Dec deadline. If not, please do so as soon as possible.

I also ask the individual, non constituency, participants in the TF to also (re)state their preferences.

Thanks and apologies for the confusion.

a.