ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pednr-initial-report]

Blacknight Comments on PEDNR

  • To: "pednr-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx" <pednr-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Blacknight Comments on PEDNR
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:11:12 +0000

Blacknight welcomes the opportunity to be able to submit some comments on the
Post Expiry Domain Name Recovery Working Group report.

We have been actively involved in this group for a year, but feel that it is
opportune to submit our comments to the group in this form.

The group was asked several specific questions in relation to domain expiry /
post-expiry:

1. Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their expired
domain names;

 From what we have seen - yes

2. Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration agreements are
clear and conspicuous enough;

The question would be better asked - are registrants aware of what can and will
happen to their domain(s) if they don't renew them?
This is really a matter of education. Some registrars probably do a better job
of making the information conspicuous than others, but the ICANN community as a
whole should be taking a leadership role in helping educate registrants on how
domains work.

3. Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of upcoming expirations;

Most registrars send registrants multiple notifications. In some cases
registrants complain about the volume of these reminders, so there is more than
adequate notice.
As a sidenote - many registrars offer an "auto renew" type option in their
billing systems which allow registrants to automatically renew their domains as
long as their credit card is valid.

4. Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate that once a
domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has expired (e.g., hold
status, a notice on the site with a link to information on how to renew, or
other options to be determined);

As has been mentioned by several members of the group, some clear indication in
WHOIS of a domain's current status would help avoid confusion. The exact form
and method for implementing this is probably beyond this group's remit.

If the domain post-expiry resolves to a holding page of some kind there should
be an indication that the domain has expired and provide details (or a link to
them) on how to renew it. One complaint we have heard in the past is that
registrants assume that the domain has been "hijacked"

5. Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the RGP

In short - no.

However we strongly believe that the issue isn't what happens if / when a
domain expires, but more to do with how it gets that far.

 From our experience in dealing with "normal" registrants we have seen that
there is a significant knowledge gap problem. Many registrants do not realise
how important their domain name is until there is an issue.
In many cases domains are registered with email addresses that have been
abandoned, or that belong to former employees etc.,

It would make more sense, from our perspective, if time and energy were
focussed on encouraging registrants to do more active housekeeping on their
domain(s) prior to expiry.

Regards

Michele

Mr Michele Neylon