ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pednr-wg-questions]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery

• To: pednr-wg-questions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:55:56 -0700

I realize that the deadline of Sept 10th on the public request for comments has passed. However, I do strongly feel that clarity should be established. Personally, given that ICANN makes and enforces policies on the .COM name space, I firmly believe that ICANN should take a harder stand on policies and place stricter controls in place to prevent registrars from abusing the .COM name space (along with all other TLD's) and the purchasing public. It appears to me that ICANN is not fulfilling its mandate when companies like GoDaddy.com can manipulate policies to milk the system and leave registrars in the cold.

My two cents...

1. Make the 30 day Redemption Grace Period permanent and at no charge to registrants. Registrars do not pay for names and therefore should not charge a recovery fee during the redemption period other than the standard registration fee for a domain using their registry service.

2. Make the 15 day recovery period following the initial Redemption Grace Period permanent. Recovery fee applicable.

I agree with several articles I have read, including ones from ICANN's own sub domains where the general consensus was that the original 45 day recovery period was a progressive and fair policy that should be strengthened to protect consumers from predatory companies, of which there are many. ICANN's first responsibility is to consumers, the users of the Internet, to establish policies that protect consumers against abuse and misleading practices. If ICANN does not see this as a governing body, then ICANN has failed in their job and should consider passing the baton to another organization.

I also hold domains in the .CA domain space, and there is no such problems with the .CA name space or CIRA. In plain English, CIRA grants a 30 day Redemption Grace Period and consumers get a 30 day Redemption Grace Period at no additional charge other than for the standard registration fee. This is fair for the consumer, fair for the registrar and fair for the greater public. This same comfort zone and policy does not apply with the .COM space when GoDaddy gives 12 days as a grace period and charges $80 for the remaining 18 days while DomainSite.com grants the full 30 day period to recover and allows renewal at no additional charge. The playing field is not even, not everyone is treated fairly, and the hardships that can result are very real.

Sorry for sending this in so late, I had no idea any public request on this topic was being made. None the less, I hope someone will at least listen to reason and make the push to do the right thing for the consumer. If anyone would like further feedback, please feel free to contact me at any time, I'm more than happy to get more involved.

Thank You

Regards,
Thomas Taenzer
niteowl@xxxxxxxxx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy