ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[performance-2007]

Complaint Management

  • To: performance-2007@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Complaint Management
  • From: Bob Bruen <bruen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:01:32 -0400 (EDT)

After reading the Whois Data Accuracy Report I both happy and disappointed at the sametime.

I am happy because ICANN is now taking seriously the requirement for accurate registration data.

I am disappointed because the report has minimized the problem by highlighting the small number of complaints and the number of sites suspended compared to the overall number of sites around the planet.
This is one of those "accurate but not true" situations. Indeed 50K sites out of 80 million is a small number. However, when one uses a different standard the pictures changes dramatically.

The New York Times published a story based on a spam filter company that estimates 90% of all email is spam. With estimates as high as 135 billion emails sent everyday, this a resource theft of huge propostions. All it because of the tiny number of bad apples.

The best way so far to stop these junk mailers is to enforce the rules of accurate registration data. Any registrar that complains of having to deal with too many complaints should have followed the rules in the first place so there would nothing to file complaints about.

And we would have been happy to have had you acknowledge us as the record setting complainer. We offered to work ICANN a while ago and we still hold out the offer.

                 regards, bob

--
Dr. Robert Bruen
Cold Rain Technologies