ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[privacy-proxy-study]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Comment regarding "Domain Names Registered Using a Privacy or Proxy Service"

• To: privacy-proxy-study@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment regarding "Domain Names Registered Using a Privacy or Proxy Service"
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 16:41:43 -0700

I register a domain about once a year for various personal projects that I experiment with. Due to the amount of scam phone calls and scam letters that I got based on the first domains that I registered in 2002, I always buy some form of domain anonymousness.

These letters and phone calls started in the fall of 2004 or winter of 2005. I would typically get an illegal telemarketing call to my cell phone claiming to be from some form of "the" domain registry service for one of my domains, and then I would get another illegal telemarketing call a few hours later for another domain that I own. I would always ask the caller if I had a business relationship with her, and then remind her that telemarketing to American cell phones is illegal.

Shortly afterward, I would get some form of renewal letter from something claiming to be "the" domain registry service.

These scams always imply that they are "the" company that I work with. They never come from a company or name that sounds like the companies that I purchase and host my domains with.

Like I stated earlier, I now register all of my domains anonymously to specifically block these phone calls and letters. My phone is for communicating with people; not to allow scam artists to make me listen to their sales pitches at their convenience.

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy