ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[privacy-proxy-study]

ICANN | Public Comment

  • To: privacy-proxy-study@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN | Public Comment
  • From: Richard Conner <duofold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:17:40 -0400

I read this report with interest, as I (like many others, obviously) use a proxy registration service, in this case one provided by my registrar. Like others who have commented, I do this to keep personal information away from abusive harvesting. My proxy service appears to have provided all information that ICANN requires from registrants, and I know that notifications regarding my domain do eventually reach me when they are communicated through these contacts.

I do wonder whether there might be other problems with registrars and WHOIS than those possibly caused (or not) by private/proxy registration. For example, I just did a WHOIS lookup on a domain that appeared in a recent spam mailing directed to me: fedoqog dot cn. Might this info represent a proxy or privacy-protected registration? I have no idea, because in fact the WHOIS information is incomplete as far as I can tell. There is a registrant name and organization (in Chinese) and an e-mail address that appears to be valid and deliverable, but no telephone, no fax, no postal address, no other means of direct contact besides the one rather tenuous e-mail address. There isn't even a URL or other net-usable pointer to the registrar that would enable me to dig deeper, just a Chinese company name that frankly is of little use to me as I do not understand the language. This particular case is sadly typical of dozens upon dozens of such domains I've personally checked during the investigation of spam mail I have received over the years.

I wonder what proportion of domains (perhaps subdivided by country TLD) have a comparable paucity of required registrant info? Were any of these encountered during the course of the present study?

-- Richard C. Conner