ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[raa-improvements2010]

Re: [ga] ICANN workgroup's message to domain registrants on Charter of Rights: Let Them Eat Gruel!

  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN workgroup's message to domain registrants on Charter of Rights: Let Them Eat Gruel!
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:19:59 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

George and all,

  We've been down this path before regarding improvements to the RAA contract's
and did get some minor improvements accordingly.  This seems to be the second
go-around that 'May' garner some additional improvements that Registrants want
or feel they need in the interest of fairness at a minimum. It has been quite
clear for a number of years that Registrars in particular, are not significantly
interested in providing good service from a Registrant perspective.

  Here are some suggestions our group made yet again recently:

  To the point regarding Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy considerations.
What I our members and all registrants opinion is that no registrar should be
able
to transfer or otherwise use for any purpose other than those determined by the
registrant
of any Domain Name without the registrant first approving such a transfer
and/or requested
such a transfer of the registrar and that if the latter that action via a
executable via
web link to be actually effected by the registrant only unless otherwise
requested
by same and that all records regarding that registrants registered domain names
should
be viewable and updatable for accuracy ect. by the registrant only via a
similar mechnisim.

  Grace period considerations - If a registrant is late or re-registering
his/her/it's
Domain Name at or near the time of renewal some notice to that registrant at
least 15
days prior and 10 days after the experation date should be allowed befor the
original
registrant's domain name can be sold or otherwise utilized. If such a policy
were or
is to be adopted, the Registrar must than comply and fails to do so
compensation to the
original registrant of record in the above mentioned time period must be
compensated
for the loss if sale or otherwise registrar effected transfer without
registrant
permission, for their expected or registrar recognized loss and ICANN must
seriously
consider dis-accrediting that registrar for improper operation accordingly.