ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[registryservice]

Comments on Domain Name Exchange proposal by VeriSign

  • To: registryservice@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Domain Name Exchange proposal by VeriSign
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 11:45:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

In regards by the application by VeriSign's application #201004 to provide a
"Domain Name Exchange" service, see:

http://www.icann.org/en/registries/rsep/#201004

we oppose this proposal. It is functionally no different than reintroducing
domain name tasting, albeit with a 30-day minimum registration period and no
refund (so, effectively the registration "costs" 1/12th a full registration).
While the application is proposed for .net, presumably they wish to do the same
for .com at some point, too. We would also oppose it for .com.

If VeriSign wants to do something positive, they should consider increasing the
maximum registration period from 10 years to say 20 or 30 years. This would be
a step forward in protecting long-term registrants, instead of the short-term
"flippers" and "tasters" who would flock to VeriSign's proposed "service."

In conclusion, this is not a "new service" at all, but instead a way to create
new loopholes that route around the deletions policy. ICANN should deny the
proposal, or at a minimum open it up for a formal public comment period.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/