ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[registryservice]

Forward on behalf of Business Constituency: Request regarding VeriSign's proposed registry service

  • To: "registryservice@xxxxxxxxx" <registryservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Forward on behalf of Business Constituency: Request regarding VeriSign's proposed registry service
  • From: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:16:32 -0700

------ Forwarded Message
From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:56:35 -0700
To: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>, <excomm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Pat Kane <pkane@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

April 13, 2010

Dear ICANN staff

As Chair of the Business Constituency, I am writing  regarding VeriSign's RSEP
proposal for its proposed new registry service, "Domain Exchange Service" in
the .net TLD.  On behalf of the BC executive leadership [ExComm], I request
that ICANN Staff make the preliminary determination that this proposal requires
further study because it could raise significant issues with regards to
security and stability and/or competition.
The BC leadership's concerns are that, although not intended, the proposal may
permit resumption of commercial "domain tasting" activities which have been
curbed by the AGP Limits policy. In order to determine the implications of such
risks, more time and analysis is needed to ensure such service does not pose
significant consequences affecting the stability of the domain name system.

As we understand the proposed service submitted by VeriSign, the Domain Name
Exchange will permit domain name applicants to "repurpose" or exchange a domain
name registration that has significant time remaining until expiration. For the
price of a single domain name, applicants will be permitted to register at
least 12 domain names a year.  As an example of the potential volume of the
service offering, if an applicant spent a mere $800 to register 100 domain
names, this service would permit the applicant to register 1200 different
domain names for that initial investment, over the course of a year. On its
face, the increased churn of domain names and ability to monetize names for a
short period of time appears to raise red flags for increased domain name abuse.

The situation regarding harmful and abusive registrations of domain names
associated with brands continues to be a significant burden in both costs to
trademark holders and to users in terms of fraud and in other abusive uses of
such names. As we all remember, after extensive policy debate and work by the
ICANN community, ICANN specifically restricted the ability of registrars to
register domain names for five days or less under the AGP to deter abusive
practices, such as cyber squatting.  Despite the closing of this loophole,
business owners still face thousands of instances of new infringements today
because cyber squatters are willing to pay a relatively low yearly registration
fee for the high quality names, including trademarks that drive traffic.
Although VeriSign is permitting applicants to register domain names for 30 days
rather than 5 days or less and is not offering refunds, (different from the
AGP), the proposed service reasonably raises concerns that permitting
applicants to register a dozen domain names for the price of a single domain
name will invite speculators to game the system and use it for domain name
abuse.
Certainly, our concern is whether the new service would facilitate abuse.
However, in this case, it is also reasonable to ask staff to explore whether
VeriSign's new service might be used so excessively that it would cause the
same kinds of stability problems. We do understand that VeriSign's proposal
would make changes by modifying the registry record - not by an 'add/delete'.
Nonetheless, further exploration is needed to determine levels of use that
could generate stability concerns, whether the use was for tasting or for some
new form of domain recycling.

We appreciate that VeriSign has described steps that it has taken up front to
make their service more "transparent" but many of our members do not believe
that the steps they have taken thus far are sufficient.  None of the proposed
remedies VeriSign lists thus far actually prevent the registration of
trademarks or prevent domain name abuse at the front end of the service but
appear instead to place the entire burden, administrative costs and enforcement
costs on businesses and brand holders to deal with potential abuses.  The BC
has an extensive list of concerns and questions about the service and its
proposed remedies that it would be glad to provide to ICANN separately as it
begins its analysis of the proposed service.
While the service as currently proposed applies only to .net, we may anticipate
that if the current proposal is approved, VeriSign will next seek to extend the
service to .com, where the potential for abuse and churn in the domain name
system are even more pronounced.  Given all these concerns, we urge ICANN to
provide sufficient time to study this proposal, its affect on the stability of
the domain name system, potential to contribute to abuse,  and its potential
ramifications for all affected stakeholders and to post the proposal for
further public comment.

On behalf of the BC Executive Committee

Marilyn Cade, BC Chair

CC:  BC ExComm