ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[registryservice]

Anti-Abuse Domain Use Policy proposal by verisign is a BAD idea

  • To: <registryservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Anti-Abuse Domain Use Policy proposal by verisign is a BAD idea
  • From: Patrick <patrickm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:12:51 +0200

Domains aren't limited anymore to a specific country.
Domains like .com and .net are in use by individuals around the world.
Fighting abuse is important and deserves our attention.

But taking a website down without a ruling from a judge is a very bad idea. There is a reason why every country has judges, simply to look at a case with an objective view. No law-enforcement agency can be 100% objective. They will try to be but they can't. Simply because they are involved in the case they are working on.

Freedom is our highest property. It should NEVER be given to a company.
Fighting abuse must be done based on facts presented and reviewed by court.

If not ruled by a court, who can garuantee objectivy?
Today we take down a website that has illegal content like movies or mp3.
And tomorrow? What is illegal tomorrow? Who determines what is illegal?

This proposal is very bad and a serious threat to freedom.

Regards,
Patrick

--
Yoda said: "Adventure, Heh! Excitement, Heh! A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless!"