ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

Board of Directors - ICANN

  • To: <revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Board of Directors - ICANN
  • From: "Max Menius" <mmeniusjr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:05:08 -0500

I have been following the evolution of the controversial registry biz/info/org
agreements. These agreements pit thousands of businesses and individuals
against a handful of registries who are comfortable with contracts that would
have allowed the exploitation of domain registrants under the pretense of
infrastructure development costs and other manufactured or exaggerated claims.

I commented in the ICANN forum on October 26 that the proposed per annum 10%
price increase cap was an improvement over the initial allowance of tiered
pricing or differential pricing. I still regard a (0% - 10%) per year price
increase as something which I can accept as a domain name stakeholder and
developer. However, and again, ICANN must use language that specifically
guarantees and ensures, in perpetuity and with no exceptions, that tiered
pricing never be allowed. Any loopholes, special contingencies, or exceptions
must be clearly deleted from the final contracts such that the intended spirit
of the contract is honored.

Lastly, a huge contingent of well-intentioned members of the business community
spoke clearly and decisively these past months (and with incontrovertible logic
I might add). The overwhelming consensus was that the initial contracts were
failures as written and grossly skewed in favor of registries. So lopsided were
the initial contracts that ICANN's integrity and impartiality have been called
into question. There remains lingering doubt about ICANN, their loyalties, and
the quality of their judgement in administrating the DNS and its many issues.
Given the very unique and promising opportunity ICANN presently face, it would
be advisable to allow more time and consideration of the many issues raised in
the initial failed contracts. The contract implications are complex, as ICANN
indicated themselves, and there appears to be no compelling reason to rush to
finalization.

Michael Palage, Afilias, NeuStar, and PIR can wait. Their interests do not
supercede the collective interests of thousands of businesses who are reliant
on ICANN to navigate through to clear, defensible contract terms that balance
registry interests with that of the larger internet community. Let the economic
experts provide their input. Allow more time to examine competitive contract
bidding and contract renewal options. I remain hopeful that ICANN leaders will
take great care with the long-term implications of their decisions. Thank you.

Max Menius
Menius Enterprises, Inc.