ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

Comments on revised .biz, .info, .org agreements

  • To: <revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments on revised .biz, .info, .org agreements
  • From: "Eric Johnson" <ericj1234@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:43:10 -0700

Dear sirs,

First, I request that any decision on pricing for registration and renewal of
.biz, .info, and .org domain names wait until your "independent" study of the
underlying issues has been completed and provides recommendations.

I strongly oppose differential pricing of domain name registration.  This is a
completely unfair and arbitrary way to price domain registration.

I also strongly oppose a blanket limit of 10% on price increases.  To be fair,
and to reflect the true costs of maintaining domain registries, the highest
allowed price increase should be restricted to no more than 3%.

I would also like to say that even putting such proposals forward damages the
perception of your organization's integrity and even-handedness when it comes
to pricing and providing these services.  You should be considering the welfare
of all parties in this situation, but especially that of the small
business-person who may depend for their livelihood on a website.  In the face
of multi-pronged competition and other economic and financial challenges, the
business owner should not have to face the prospect of sharply higher and
arbitrarily-administered price hikes in registering and renewing a domain name.
 Your current proposed agreements are another example of a large organization
not taking the well-being of the "little guy" into account as you create and
propose your policies.  As you go forward, please do so.  It's only fair and
it's only right.

Sincerely,
Eric Johnson