ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Re: Personal Comments on the Revised Proposed

  • To: revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Personal Comments on the Revised Proposed
  • From: Larry Davidson <warpedspeeds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:10:42 -0800 (PST)

I am always hesitant to second guess the way any small business operator runs
their business, but I saw Tim Ruiz defense of why registrars haven't passed on
savings from .net reductions and it strains credulity. Of course, many
businesses sell in bundles. But they also sell a la carte, and if they are just
pocketing the cost reductions then they have very little credibility to claim
they are pro-consumer.

  His argument seems to be that ICANN and the rest of the Internet community
will just have to trust his fellow registrars that they will pass on savings
they get. As the owner of multiple domain names and many more horror stories
(mostly from NSI) to count there is now way that registrars have earned any
amount of trust.

  The ICANN Board must make an independent decision on whether this settlement
is a positive step or not. But they must make it independent of the pressure
that a narrow group of businesses with vested interests but no track record of
trust.

  Jeffrey Rogers and Larry Davidson
  BBG International