ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[root-zone-scaling-impact]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Re: Summary of the Impact of Root Zone Scaling

  • To: root-zone-scaling-impact@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Summary of the Impact of Root Zone Scaling
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 20:40:52 -0400

Karla,

I've commented during the public comments periods for prior iterations of the root scaling studies. Here I'm just dealing with the text as-is.

1. There is some boosterism that detracts from the report.

It is not true, or at least not "safe to say" that "more change has occurred in the last 5 or 6 years than has occurred since the DNS was first deployed."

1032 introduced iso3166 and expanded the root zone significantly.
The entire NIC contract was moved from SRI to the precursor of NSI (which didn't work as well as expected for the better part of a year). The operational .org registry was redelgated. The operational .net registry was not, unfortunately. Rapid update was introduced. Other changes before v6 and/or DNSSEC have taken place.

2. The boosterism is not limited to how important the rate of change of the DNS is, and by implication, how important ICANN is, but extends to the repeated use of the phrase "senior ICANN staff". We all know that ICANN has little depth in its technical staff, and there is very little technical staff left once "senior" or "junior" staff is subtracted from the whole.

The "senoiritis" pops up in several places in pages 3, 4 and 5, and with the exception of David, now Elise, and Barbara and Richard, and recently Joe, the comings and goings of "senior ICANN staff" are irrelevant to the issue, as the issue is the scaling properties of the root server system, and outside of those few individuals, no one at ICANN, senior or junior, has the competency to contribute to this specific issue.

3. At the middle of page 6, at February 2008, the 1k/yr number is introduced "derived from estimates of gTLD processing times." The readers who were not involved in the prior work may not grasp that the "processing" referred to, the "bandwidth" of the root change management system, is the number of contracts Corporate Counsel estimates that it can process, using a single standard contract and significant augmentation of the legal department's work capacity through outsourcing.

This is an important detail that informs the rest of the study. We are describing the time rate of change of a system, not of change management software acting in a continuous process of editing the IANA root zone file, with or without human review of root-altering change, but of the projected contract review rate. This figure has no other basis for being an tool for estimation of the scaling properties of, or limitations on the root change management system.

I suggest spelling that out so that readers new to the issue will know where the 1k/yr boggie comes from.

4. At page 7 and subsequent there is an important observation that the "... less robust IPv6 network infrastructure ... IPv6 queries and/or responses may be lost more frequently than with IPv4 ..."

Yet we still have IPv6 as mandatory to implement (even if regionally useless or even negatively useful) for all applicants in the current DAG.

We know it doesn't work as well for the A-M.root-servers.net operators, who sit on more than adequately provisioned L2 and raised floor infrastructures, as IPv4, and we know that it really doesn't work as well for just about everywhere else. Yet we're making it mandatory.

Worse, we know the metrics will suck, yet the numbers in the DAG don't reflect that certain knowledge.

I suggest making v6 optional rather than mandatory, for new gTLD applicants, as it is for root-servers.net operators, and all current TLD operators. Getting to v6 is so important that ICANN should not compromise the future by making it mandatory prematurely.

5. The discussion of IDNs should end at the end of para 1 on page 8. The display difficulties, at ICANN or at some unprepared registrars are simply irrelevant to the scaling issue. There is no room for the covert insertion of "LEOs and trademark portfolio managers can't parse IDNs in WHOIS data, oh joy to the criminal classes" in a report on scaling.

6. Also on page 8, in the para before the section on IDNs, there is an unfortunate comparison of ICANN root management processes and systems and Verisign root management processes and systems, in the discussion of quad-A resource records. The reason this comparison or likening is unfortunate is because it suggests a parity or equivalence between the two that simply doesn't exist. ICANN does some bookkeeping and makes requests, Verisign operationalizes every change requested, generates the signed zones, and publishes the signed zones. ICANN is not the author of changes, nor the implementor of changes to the IANA root, the resources and responsibilities are not so similar as to make the implied comparison meaningful.

As the para concludes, there is no operational or scaling issue in quad-A resource records, so the para could be removed, and the gratuitous adjacent-therefore-alike error removed as well.

What is missing from the paper has been missing all along, as I've commented previously. We are not simply concerned with an automated editing system which may monotonically increase the size of the IANA root through an endless sequence of textual deltas, but with one or more sets of independent, highly sophisticated, authorized to halt the process and delete deltas human beings. It really doesn't matter if Corporate Counsel or the outsourced legal service bureau has a bad day doing contract approval, there are no time critical consequences. There are time critical consequences when an incorrect change set to the IANA root is published.

Additionally, we know since the .C varient of Conficker that name spaces are a resource for the authors of distributed systems needing rendezvous points, and the "call the IANA contacts list" came very close to failure in March, 2009, when the "all hands" problem was o(100). Fundamentally, this study proposes that future "all hands", waking up o(1000) times the number of years since 2012, requires no operational change or preparedness.

I think those two are significant defects in the RZS.

Eric Brunner-Williams
In a personal capacity

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>