ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[rproproposal]

I Support Proposed .Pro Changes

  • To: rproproposal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I Support Proposed .Pro Changes
  • From: Robert K Edmonston <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:59:17 -0700

I strongly support the proposed changes to the .pro gTLD. The current eligibility requirements are exceedingly cumbersome and have stifled the growth of this extension to the point where it's continued viability may be in question without some type of reforms. I would go as far to recommend that eventually all restrictions be lifted, much as previous restrictions on .net and .org have been lifted.

I also agree with calls for the lowering of the cost of registering .pro names. Currently a .pro registration is $99/year at most registrars which is almost as big of an obstacle to the growth of the extension as the credential requirements. ICANN should take steps to encourage more competition and lower prices in the .pro gTLD to help improve registration levels and ensure the success of the extension.

These reforms are a good first step - I hope to see continued movement towards the removal of restrictions and the lowering of prices in the .pro gTLD.

Sincerely,

Robert Edmonston